Regulator

no avatar
tonyc

Re: Regulator

Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:14 pm

I didn't fit mine, the gun was bought from Roger5 with reg already fitted. Roger set the firing valve to give max 11.4ft lb (as I tested it) with the venturi fully open . When I got it the reg was set a little high (Altaros say they do creep up and need to be reset) so the velocity was a steady 770-773 fps for 50 shots, increasing to 780fps when it came off reg. So a total 70 good shots before dropping below 770.

You would need to decide what power profile and number of shots you want. You might get a few more shots set at 110bar - I haven't tried it - and you will if you turn the power down.

no avatar
John814ce

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:04 pm

Thanks, i ve just had an email back from robert lane, i asked him " what separates your regs from Altaros regs and why the hole in cylinder ". He said and i quote " buy a altaros then test it then buy one of mine and you will have your answer. I've been making and developing regs for 24 years if they was another way without the hole, i would have done it. As long as you polish the cylinder inside like a glass finish and dont force the reg in heavy handed, then you wont have any problems what so ever."
Interesting

no avatar
tonyc

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:01 pm

I don't know how Altaros do it because I haven't taken the regulator apart, and I can't imagine how either. I understand the hole and what it allows. But the fact is the Altaros does work in terms of regulating pressure at the firing valve. It is not intended to be part of a tuning process: no other modifications required to transfer port, firing valve, hammer or hammer spring, no hole in the cylinder and no increase in cylinder pressure. So if you are looking to extend the shot count or improve air efficiency Altaros is not the answer, but Lane may be (I can't say from experience).