Firing pot length

no avatar
John814ce

Re: Firing pot length

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:53 pm

Yes i do remove the anti tampers and this is so i can take care and service my gun my self as most of us do, this is to save paying a gun smith or sending it back to the factory, there is nothing wrong with that. And of course you need to chronograph it to check the power is not exceeding 12ftlbs, no im not taking this a an argument with you at all sorry if it came across like that, and I'm really grateful for the advise, i have re checked my power today with jsb heavys purchased from my local gun club and made sure its not over 12 ftlbs from 160-125 bar its now highest read is 11.97 ftlb at 722 fps. And now the jsb exact diabolo 8.4gn are 11.34 ftlbs which im happy with that anyways. Thanks, btw i use 4.52mm there are pellet on pellet.

no avatar
tonyc

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:29 pm

Roger5 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:49 pm
... hope your still looking after my rifle xx
Of course! Waiting on you for the next one ;)

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:02 am

I would not go anywhere near 11.9 myself.
You can do anything with 11 that you can do with 12

no avatar
John814ce

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:34 am

Thats with the heaviest pellet bear in mind, it was 12.15 ftlbs from factory with barracuda match 10.64gn at 130 bar ish

no avatar
John814ce

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:32 pm

Spoke to sandwell field sports today he told me and i quote " probably every gun in this shop would be capable of exceeding 12ftlbs slightly with an heavy pellet. " he was very helpful and told me if i were getting around 780 fps with 8.44 gn and they was the best pellet for your gun and the ones you use, and if you ever get your local firearm officer taking your gun to be tested, that to make a statement when they ask if you have anything to say, to say that those pellets are the only pellets you use and only possess. He proceeded to tell me to take my gun to my local gun shop and get them to test it and give me in writing a test certificate and keep it with my gun if i ever have to deal with this issue. He even said bring it to sandwell field sports and he'd do the test and the certificate for me for a fiver. I think gentleman you are being slightly paranoid, ring the guy up and speak to him and get some advice. One more thing he said, that the police can also take your gun to be reduced in power rather than destroying it (if it creeps over 0.5 ftlbs are so with heavy pellets when being examined by the police, he said he's deals with this quite a lot) and its clear your not obviously a thug and your genuine and have got the land owners permission and all relevant paperwork etc and insurance. He also said that the police aren't stupid they know when someone is deliberately breaking the law and when someone is a law abiding citizen. Hope this helps.

bgaltd

Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:17 pm

John814ce wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:32 pm
Spoke to sandwell field sports today he told me and i quote " probably every gun in this shop would be capable of exceeding 12ftlbs slightly with an heavy pellet. " he was very helpful and told me if i were getting around 780 fps with 8.44 gn and they was the best pellet for your gun and the ones you use, and if you ever get your local firearm officer taking your gun to be tested, that to make a statement when they ask if you have anything to say, to say that those pellets are the only pellets you use and only possess. He proceeded to tell me to take my gun to my local gun shop and get them to test it and give me in writing a test certificate and keep it with my gun if i ever have to deal with this issue. He even said bring it to sandwell field sports and he'd do the test and the certificate for me for a fiver. I think gentleman you are being slightly paranoid, ring the guy up and speak to him and get some advice. One more thing he said, that the police can also take your gun to be reduced in power rather than destroying it (if it creeps over 0.5 ftlbs are so with heavy pellets when being examined by the police, he said he's deals with this quite a lot) and its clear your not obviously a thug and your genuine and have got the land owners permission and all relevant paperwork etc and insurance. He also said that the police aren't stupid they know when someone is deliberately breaking the law and when someone is a law abiding citizen. Hope this helps.
unfortunately that certificate is only valid until you leave the shop , it wont stand up in court or to scrutiny with the CPS or the police as all it says is that at this certain time and date in this certain shop it was chrono'd and found to be under the legal limit .

believe me when I say that the police WILL find your gun over the limit IF they want to and WONT let you have it back for reduction in power if they don't want to . having in your possession an unlicensed firearm is an absolute offence , there is no defence against it :-(.

being paranoid with the police is the only way to be , they don't give 2 shits what pellets you use . if they want to confiscate your gun they will AND they WILL get it to go over the legal limit.

ps. I send you a certificate for free , just ask me next time I send you parts :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

no avatar
John814ce

Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:56 pm

Well it seems pointless having an air rifle if the police can make it go over the limit. The law needs to be made clearer, i could proberly chuck a brick over 12ftlbs or catapult a ball bearing over 12 ftlbs.

no avatar
tonyc

Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:45 pm

I do get tired of these threads. All UK primary legislation is ambiguous which is why justice is largely dependent on case law, i.e. judges' interpretation of what was intended when the relevant Act was passed. That's how these badly worded clauses are made clear. In practice, once a judge has set a precedent there is little prospect of this being overturned. No amount of argument and debate in these threads is going to change anything.

So my suggestions are (1) be polite to the police if they show any interest (2) make sure your gun will not fail any screening test, with whatever pellets the tester may choose (3) if it's a PCP and you are given the choice, surrender it rather than have it sent for full forensic testing - it can be made to fail.

If you prefer to do differently and take on the system, good luck to you. :roll:

no avatar
John814ce

Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:29 pm

Im getting tired of trying to find out what is best to stay within the law. Thats why i have spoke to several fire arms dealers regarding this and they all seem to say the same thing as the thread regarding the sandwell field sports gun smith. So i will ask it in a different way..... what do you "the forum's, the internet" suggest i do? And if 780 fps with jsb exact diabolo 8.44gn doesn't satisfy you please tell me were and what i need to do because im lost? Because if the fire arms dealers all suggest its absolutely fine then what? Please tell me WHAT? Btw my s510 .177 gun came brand new with full anti tampers from aa. And around 125bar with heavys it was shooting at 12.15 ftlbs, but around 11.35 ftlbs with exacts, so please tell me what's the point of ownership of an air gun? If before i even get the thing home and even put a scope on it im potencially breaking the law as you seem to suggest. Should i just think f#&k it and sell it.

no avatar
Archer50

Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:01 pm

John814ce wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:52 pm
Check google about the court case were the guy took the police to court stating he only used a certain pellet with his gun and he won the court case.
Can you point us at the article please? I've tried to find it, but can't.