S510 Ultimate Sporter XS Chronograph Chart

no avatar
GWE

Re: S510 Ultimate Sporter XS Chronograph Chart

Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:36 am

tonyc wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:15 pm
I agree with Alan. The only thing I would add is that this could be the upward slope of an unregulated curve. So the reg inlet valve could be stuck partially open....
Hope you don’t mind Tony I shortened the quote. “Unregulated curve..got me thinking...Did I mention I have a busy mind? Wouldn’t the only way to check be to shoot from full 250 Bar past 150 Barand and see when the velocities dropped?

Guys, Purely for my own novice education, and understanding of air gun mechanics/tuning could hammer stoke/strength have anything to do with an increasing velocity over shot count? If there were “push back”, (doh! resistance) from the valve because of high cylinder pressure wouldn’t you expect that effect to lessen as more shots were fired, therefore cylinder pressure drops, more air released and less resistance over time as more air is released, more air, ergo higher velocity with each shot. Oh wait..wouldnt that mean that the air to the shot plenum was basically unregulated and by that I mean high pressure Air we’re somehow feeding the shot plenum, by leak, regulator acting up, or any number things you guys mentioned earlier.

I might be a bit slow...

no avatar
Archer50

Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:23 am

George

There are all sorts of adjustments and minor tweaks that could have a comparatively small effect on your system, but your problem is much bigger than that - something is wrong! Without seeing the gun, my first guess would be a faulty seal or simply dirt in the regulator - both very common problems and usually easy enough to fix if you can get inside the gun.

But whatever it is, only AA can help you now if you want to keep your warranty in place.

Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.

Alan

no avatar
tonyc

Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:37 am

GWE wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:36 am
Hope you don’t mind Tony I shortened the quote. “Unregulated curve..got me thinking...Did I mention I have a busy mind? Wouldn’t the only way to check be to shoot from full 250 Bar past 150 Barand and see when the velocities dropped?
Yes, a full curve would be more revealing, continuing to the point where velocity is well below starting point and POI is falling away. You could do an uninterrupted string and another shot in several sessions with overnight breaks between. Clearly, if the two are consistent so is the fault. Any differences - either repeatable or random - can be informative. But I think Alan is right both on most likely cause and way forward with AA.

no avatar
GWE

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:57 pm

Guys,

I'm very happy to close this thread out, well to some degree, by saying that the US Distributor to Air Arms, Air Venturi, stepped up, replaced Bob's rifle, tested his replacement, and even cross shipped his replacement, counter to normal policy, while his old rifle was in still in delivery. If you'd like to see the entire exchange between the airguns owner, Bob, Pyramid Air's Director of Customer Service, Eric, and the Air Arms/Pyramyd gunsmith Tyler, please see the last page or two of:

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/aa-s ... ts/page/4/

Heres a "transcript" of the gunsmiths post...

"Bob

Shot your (replacement) .22 this morning as Eric said. The numbers were very good over the chrony. Shot 5 mags from 250 BAR down to 150 BAR and 48 of the 50 shots were within 15 fps. 938 fps average with JSB 18.13 heavies. The last two shots dropped as it was coming off the reg. I know the gun is rated at 60 shots per fill, but I am seeing less than what Air Arms has called for with the .25 that I am working with for an upcoming Insyder review. I talked with the techs at Air Venturi (the US warranty and repair center for AA) and they have sent an email to Air Arms to see if an update of the shot counts as they are listed online is in order. Will update everyone once we hear back.

Side note, put 10 of the heavies into a .38" group at 30 yards. Basically a large ragged hole. Hope that does the job for ya!

Tyler
"

Well gentleman, I'd say that's pretty fine news and a great response by Air Venturi, Pyramyd Air and of course, Air Arms themselves.

I'm sure we'd all like to know exactly what was wrong with that first rifle but thats just a post mortem topic at this point with little bearing on the end game...the important thing is the that owner can look forward to shooting this rifle with the kind of performance he expected...

Its time to put Allan's earlier comment "- something is wrong" in proper perspective, "something was wrong..." :D

On another note I get to finally open my walnut stock AA S510 US XS tomorrow when I visit my son. He took delivery three weeks ago while I was away...Oh yeah, I guess I get to see my 6 month old granddaughter as well...lol! (Sorry Jullianne!! just kidding! just kidding!)

Best to you all, and gents?

It’s Christmas tomorrow!!

George

no avatar
Archer50

Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:57 am

Great outcome :D

Good shooting

Alan

no avatar
tonyc

Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:10 am

Archer50 wrote:

Good shooting

Alan
Ditto!

no avatar
GWE

Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:43 pm

tonyc wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:10 am
Archer50 wrote:

Good shooting

Alan
Ditto!

There is a phrase in the States that drives me nuts. Particularly when I hear it fourteen or fifteen times over the course of a minute long "conversation". However there are times when it does seems appropriate...

I know!! right?

I'm sure we would all dearly love to be in on the autopsy to know exactly what was wrong with that first rifle. That would be the icing on the cake for some of us (I know I would) but really the icing on the cake happens in about two hours when I jump in the car and drive over to my son's to open a certain box. Most likely with my granddaughters assistance as she crawls all over it...

Warm Regards,
George