Scope will not zero

no avatar
dogberry

Scope will not zero

Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:20 am

HI

I have an Air Arms S510 Ultimate Sporter sub 12ft/lbs. My problem is I had a cheap scope that would zero in but no matter what I did it would not keep zero. So I decided to upgrade to a Hawke SF 4-16x50 scope. I have used up the left windage adjustment and it will still not zero.

Any suggestions as to what I can do as the cheapo zero`d I cannot see that the rifle is at fault.

Many thanks

Dogberry

Blackbaronfish

Re: Scope will not zero

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:34 pm

Try changing the mounts around. Front ones to the back and rear to the front.
Have you got the right size mounts.
If you take the mounts only and place together on the rail do they align when nipped up.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

Blackbaronfish

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:36 pm

Also see if your figure of eight has moved.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
tonyc

Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:46 pm

Could be a duff scope. Is it new new, did it come with rings attached and have they been over-tightened?

This is what I'd do. Re-centre the reticle vertically and horizontally by counting the number of turns on the turrets. Once the adjusters are in the mechanical centre, loosen the scope rings and rotate the scope to check how far the reticle is from optical centre. (You may find it easier to set up a test rig to do this so you can get a full 360 degree rotation). Adjust the turrets until the reticle is optically centred, counting the number of turns/clicks on each turret. If the adjustment required is more than 10% of the total range either vertically or horizontally you definitely have a defective scope.

If the scope is okay from this test it will most likely be either the mounts, or the dovetail/barrel alignment. If switching the mounts around doesn't work, easiest solution is to buy windage adjustable mounts.

I had to do this for a Hawke scope which wouldn't centre on any rifle. I'd had the scope for some time before I found how far out the optical and adjuster centres were. Now I do the check on any scope I buy as soon as I get it.

no avatar
dogberry

Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:25 pm

Hi Folks

Many thanks for the replies it has given me something to work on. I doubt its the rifle because of the Cheap scope lined up ok and a tasco scope was also on it and zero`d in but that was a 4X only and with my eyesight I need a bit more than that. Those mounts all worked but are not big enough for the Hawke they need high mounts.

Thankfully the scope is brand new got it (Thursday) so if faulty can go back, but to be fair I will try the suggestions first, then at least if I do have to send it back I can let them know I have tried all of the above.

Thank you for you time

Dogberry

no avatar
poguemahone

Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:45 pm

loosen the barrel band, allowing the barrel to re-align itself, re tighten each screw a bit at a time alternating til the band is tight ;)

no avatar
dogberry

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:08 am

HI

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. Thankfully it was just a case of swapping the mounts around.

Cheers

Dogberry