burmese python

no avatar
long jon

burmese python

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:45 am

got chatting to a nice guy on the range yesterday. he told me he went out shooting rabbits at night. THE REASON - apart from enjoying shooting he has a burmese python that he keeps in a long tank in his flat! Apparently it eats the sh*t out the rabbits.

Has anyone a better reason for shooting rabbit.
Rgds
long jon

no avatar
VIN

Re: burmese python

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:46 pm

That python would have to share the rabbits with me - gorgeous meat.

Blackbaronfish

Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:28 pm

Jon I would be very aware of anyone that want to take me back to his place and show you his big python

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
FPoole

Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:42 pm

At least you won't have the same problems we do here when the pythons escape. The snakes are gradually moving north, but not quite to me yet. I don't know how much cold they can stand, but it doesn't get that cold here. I don't mind native species of reptile, but importing them as pets hasn't worked well in Florida. As a mammal, I guess I'm just prejudiced against the things. I also have a pet rabbit. :D

no avatar
long jon

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:54 pm

Interesting point you make about Florida. I asked the guy if he needed any sort of licence to keep the python, to which he said no but he personally thought that there should be a law. Like the States the big issue is owners being unable to manage the pet as it grows and then releasing into the wild. If you had to produce a licence before you could buy then this would help stop their escape/release.

The rabbits might also be a little appreciative too.
Long Jon

no avatar
FPoole

Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:44 am

About 10 years ago there was an albino python that killed an infant. Got out of it's cage in the night and found the crib. This was a 12 ft. snake. Happened in a town about 40 miles from me.

no avatar
long jon

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:29 pm

Hi FPoole
Are they not the top predator in Florida now ahead of the alligator, the latter of which they have found inside escaped pythons.
Jon
(long jon)

Raj

Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:13 pm

In the 32 C heat this afternoon, I am sure I saw a python at the waters edge on the River Avon here in Warwickshire.
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"