Archery club

no avatar
Roger5

Archery club

Wed May 23, 2018 6:27 pm

On my permission is a rimfire target club, they also do archery, an arrow left their range and landed in the horses field that I shoot rabbits on, luckily they didn't hit a horse or me, but they seem to think that as they have insurance, that until someone gets hurt, it's not really a problem, as far as I'm concerned it's illegal, and a wonder that nobody was actually hurt, any thoughts lads. Rog

no avatar
gary martin

Re: Archery club

Wed May 23, 2018 7:13 pm

frightening, in both the literal sense of being hit, and that they feel protected by insurance towards their negligence.

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Wed May 23, 2018 7:52 pm

What an attitude too have :roll: I would inform the landowner plus the police better safe than an arrow in the back.
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
tonyc

Wed May 23, 2018 8:54 pm

Having consulted a police officer I've been told the archers have a legal requirement to keep projectiles within the boundaries of the land they rent or have permission to shoot. If this excludes the horses field they are breaking the law, they could anyway be charged for reckless endangerment under the Crimes Act 1958, Section 22, will be prosecuted (Offences Against the Persons Act 1861, Section 20 GBH) if they hit someone, and are possibly invalidating their insurance if recklessly allowing arrows to leave the property. Landowner can also be prosecuted if he knows and does nothing about it.

If they don't take it seriously, I'd tell the landowner and make him aware of his liability. Whether you call the police depends on what relationships you want to maintain.

no avatar
Roger5

Thu May 24, 2018 7:29 am

tonyc wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:54 pm
Having consulted a police officer I've been told the archers have a legal requirement to keep projectiles within the boundaries of the land they rent or have permission to shoot. If this excludes the horses field they are breaking the law, they could anyway be charged for reckless endangerment under the Crimes Act 1958, Section 22, will be prosecuted (Offences Against the Persons Act 1861, Section 20 GBH) if they hit someone, and are possibly invalidating their insurance if recklessly allowing arrows to leave the property. Landowner can also be prosecuted if he knows and does nothing about it.

If they don't take it seriously, I'd tell the landowner and make him aware of his liability. Whether you call the police depends on what relationships you want to maintain.
Hi Tony, this is the email I received from the Chairman/Secretary of the club, I am fully aware of potential consequences of stray projectiles, and the club carries insurances to cover losses and protect third parties affected. So that's ok then!? I have insurance to do pest control, I'm pretty sure if I put a pellet out of my permission and accidentally hit someone, my insurance company wouldn't want to know me, and I would probably wind up in court. Rog

no avatar
143granville

Thu May 24, 2018 8:24 pm

sound like they need to be put in order .
we run an archery club for many years and did demo plus scouts for there
badges safety is the most important thing we had nets to stop this happening .
we also shot 200 meter clout shoots and the field captain should check that
its safe to shoot and that the arrows do not leave there range at all .

no avatar
tonyc

Thu May 24, 2018 10:27 pm

Rog, in light of the Chairman's response I'd definitely talk to the land owner (who I assume is not the same person) hopefully to agree the police should be asked to have a word with them, which I'm sure they would do. If it's just an isolated stray arrow I doubt there would be any action by the police beyond a friendly warning.... and hopefully that would result in a change in attitude.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sat May 26, 2018 11:10 am

Rog, if it happens again lie down, tuck the arrow head under your armpit and play dead. That'll put the wind up them when they come to collect :lol:
You didnt get much sympathy from the "other forum". Strange lot!

no avatar
Roger5

Sat May 26, 2018 1:30 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:10 am
Rog, if it happens again lie down, tuck the arrow head under your armpit and play dead. That'll put the wind up them when they come to collect :lol:
You didnt get much sympathy from the "other forum". Strange lot!
Yes Peter, I wondered about that myself, I have had no response yet from archerygb either. Rog

no avatar
143granville

Thu May 31, 2018 9:39 pm

some of the clubs are bit stuck up and need a reminder of their duty of care and safety .