Pro sport AND TX200HC

no avatar
silverstag

Pro sport AND TX200HC

Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:57 pm

I know many people ask ' what the best, pro sport or TX200 ' . i have a pro sport .177 in walnut. The thing is that I'm finding it difficult to load the .177 pellets with my clumsy fingers and I'm thinking of changing to a .22. Before I do that I'd like to hear the views of people who own BOTH the pro sport and the HC version of the TX200. I'm not asking which is best, just your views on handling, ease of cocking etc. before I change my gun. I know people say handle both guns to see which fits you best and ultimately I will, but it's difficult to find a shop that have both guns in stock within a reasonable travelling distance of where I live in South Yorks. Thanks Terry

no avatar
FPoole

Re: Pro sport AND TX200HC

Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:15 pm

Cocking is different, but the loading is exactly the same. I shoot from a seated position and point the gun upwards for easiest loading. I get the pellet sitting near the tip of my thumb and use my index fingertip to hold the very edge of the pellet skirt. Then i put this into the loading port until my index finger touches the barrels side. The breech is now just a slight upward push with the thumb. Don't know how long you've had your gun, but practice will soon make it second nature. After 17 years, and a few hundred thousand pellets loaded in a TX/PS, I can load with my eyes closed and left or right handed. Practice was the key for me.

no avatar
silverstag

Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:56 pm

Thanks FPoole,
I've put about 2 tins of pellets through the pro Sport. It's about 18 months old and I love the gun. I'm relatively new to the sport. I've got two other guns so I use them alternatively hence the lack of use.Just wondered about the ownership day to day of the TX200 HC compared to the pro sport. Whats the cocking like between the two guns for instance.

no avatar
FPoole

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:30 pm

The standard length gun is easier to cock and the HC is very close to the same level as the PS. I've only cocked a couple of HC's and they, as well as the PS and standard length TX, were FAC guns so I'm not sure it would be relevant. Would still have to think the PS will be the hardest to cock due to it's linkage not being as efficient. The TX doesn't have the slot in the bottom of the loading area, so dropped pellets won't fall through like they do on a PS.

no avatar
silverstag

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:45 pm

Thanks again FPoole.
I think I need to try to find a TX200HC to compare

no avatar
FPoole

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:39 am

I'm located in Florida, but if you fill in your location, someone is bound to be near enough for you to have a try.

no avatar
Archer50

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:10 pm

I've had both guns and although the Pro Sport looks stunning I preferred the TX200 HC. The Pro Sport was easy enough to cock. although after a few HFT rounds, or a long day on the range, the channelled cocking lever got quite sore on my hands. The main reason I preferred the TX was the balance, which is quite different from the PS, so I really suggest you try them both before committing yourself. The thing I disliked about the TX was that bloody anti-beartrap! If they can put a silent, automatic one in the Pro Sport, why not the TX? The thing I disliked about both was the weight and the ridiculously fiddly loading.

In the end I got rid of both and got an HW99. Much lighter and just as accurate and steady to shoot once you've fettled it a bit - and only half the price.

Alan

no avatar
silverstag

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:40 pm

Thanks Archer50,
those are some of the points I'm interested in. As you say I need to try a TX200HC before I make my decision

no avatar
robthedog

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:00 pm

Just got a new to me tx200hc, i'm left handed, cocking is awkward compared to my 97kt, but loading pellets is the same, i only shoot 22 as i find 177's too fiddly. Worst rifle i tried to load was a single shot s200 that was awful !

Rob

no avatar
silverstag

Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:34 pm

That's my problem with the Prosport Rob, the loading of .177 is too fiddly for my fingers.