Hold sensitive PCP

no avatar
poguemahone

Re: Hold sensitive PCP

Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:22 pm

Geordie wrote:
Raj wrote:Shoot high, Aim low ;)

Yup! I shoot Crows off the top of a pylon at 43 yards with a thirty yard zero and I have to give it a smidge of holdunder

just entered your details in the airgun holdunder calculator gordon. i entered 43yds, and i assumed you'd be using aa/jsb in .177, so i entered the bc for those. i assumed a velocity of 775 fps. i dont know the angle you're shooting at so i entered a shallow angle and a steeper one.
at that range its showing that you need a holdunder of between 0.33'' and 0.73'' depending on the actual angle you're shooting at ;) ;)

Geordie

Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:30 pm

poguemahone wrote:
Geordie wrote:
Raj wrote:Shoot high, Aim low ;)

Yup! I shoot Crows off the top of a pylon at 43 yards with a thirty yard zero and I have to give it a smidge of holdunder

just entered your details in the airgun holdunder calculator gordon. i entered 43yds, and i assumed you'd be using aa/jsb in .177, so i entered the bc for those. i assumed a velocity of 775 fps. i dont know the angle you're shooting at so i entered a shallow angle and a steeper one.
at that range its showing that you need a holdunder of between 0.33'' and 0.73'' depending on the actual angle you're shooting at ;) ;)

Sounds about right Steve 8-)
AA s410K .177
BSA R10 .177 Super carbine. (Blacky)

james79

Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:01 am

eddie666 wrote:get your head on the sight in a horizontal position as the norm , get the sight through the scope as you would to shoot,
then move the rifle and your head as one ( as if rifle scope and head are locked together ) then use that fixed position to look up at trees etc with out taking your head from its position ( like a robot ) your arm / rifle / head / neck / upper body should move as one , so your position on the rifle stays the same ,

you may look like the special ops army moving through the woods but it keeps the eye in position ,

:roll: That may be true but its not entirely conducive to seeing the wider picture or keeping your muscles relaxed for the shot as well as the concealment issues when stalking and that's before you bring in to account the safety implications of always pointing the gun where you're looking ;) I find you get better results by moving more naturally when hunting, clay and game shooting taught me that the best way to bring a gun to bear on a target is to bring it to the shoulder whilst focusing on the aforementioned target in one fluid movement and letting muscle memory do the work :) Its worked for me for the last 25/30 years 8-)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool

eddie666

Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:20 am

james79 wrote:
eddie666 wrote:get your head on the sight in a horizontal position as the norm , get the sight through the scope as you would to shoot,
then move the rifle and your head as one ( as if rifle scope and head are locked together ) then use that fixed position to look up at trees etc with out taking your head from its position ( like a robot ) your arm / rifle / head / neck / upper body should move as one , so your position on the rifle stays the same ,

you may look like the special ops army moving through the woods but it keeps the eye in position ,

:roll: That may be true but its not entirely conducive to seeing the wider picture or keeping your muscles relaxed for the shot as well as the concealment issues when stalking and that's before you bring in to account the safety implications of always pointing the gun where you're looking ;) I find you get better results by moving more naturally when hunting, clay and game shooting taught me that the best way to bring a gun to bear on a target is to bring it to the shoulder whilst focusing on the aforementioned target in one fluid movement and letting muscle memory do the work :) Its worked for me for the last 25/30 years 8-)

i meant just before you are about to shoot , line the rifle up vertical to your eye and then move upwards keeping the position when lining up target, not walking through the woods with the scope stuck to your eye all the time.
prosport 177 2015 walnut
tx200 .22 1998 mk2
walther lgv comp ultra 1.77 2014
walther lgu .22 2014

james79

Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:26 am

eddie666 wrote:
james79 wrote:

i meant just before you are about to shoot , line the rifle up vertical to your eye and then move upwards keeping the position when lining up target, not walking through the woods with the scope stuck to your eye all the time.

Ok, that makes more sense :) sorry just my misunderstanding I suspect ( just had my gabapentin dose upped and the Mrs keeps informing me I'm now easily confused but more amusing as a result :? )
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool

james79

Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:44 pm

granville wrote:i had problem with hunting with viper connect from sitting or kneeling ,
even more so when roost shooting ,
answer get different scope your eye is too close on the connect for my liking. :x

Hmm! Been out again tonight and had the same problem again which has got me thinking you might have hit the nail on the head there :x I've just swapped it out for my hawke panorama so we shall see what happens! I don't suppose anyone's on the look out for a nearly new connect (depending on the results with the hawke) ;)

no avatar
poguemahone

Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:18 pm

james79 wrote:
granville wrote:i had problem with hunting with viper connect from sitting or kneeling ,
answer get different scope your eye is too close on the connect for my liking. :x

Hmm! Been out again tonight and had the same problem again which has got me thinking you might have hit the nail on the head there :x I've just swapped it out for my hawke panorama so we shall see what happens! I don't suppose anyone's on the look out for a nearly new connect (depending on the results with the hawke) ;)

aye up james, post your calibre, distance, and angle of incline you were shooting at, and i'll tell you the holdunder you require ;)

james79

Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:39 pm

poguemahone wrote:
james79 wrote:

aye up james, post your calibre, distance, and angle of incline you were shooting at, and i'll tell you the holdunder you require ;)

.177, 25ish yards and 50° ish :) Today I figured about an inch of hold under with my 35 yard zero and even factoring that in I had the same results :x If it was just the degree of holdunder/over I wouldn't be so bothered, its the horizontal shift that's confusing me. I'm hopefully going to try again tomorrow with a set up I'm used to (ie the panorama) so I have a known constant to work with and will go from there :) Thanks for bearing with me on this and I'm very much looking forward to your figures in the hope that I've miscalculated my aim points rather than wasting my cash on a scope I can't get my head around :(

no avatar
poguemahone

Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:06 am

30yds is showing .9'' @ 50 degrees, but shows 1.3'' @ 60 degrees. thats on the airguns of arizona calculator.
i cant get on the calculator i normally use at the moment :x :x
a lot of my shooting up trees is around 25-30 yards, but usually at a much shallower angle, and .5'' is normally about right.
have you checked your scope to be true to a plumb line ????

james79

Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:21 am

poguemahone wrote:have you checked your scope to be true to a plumb line ????

I've checked it against my finest window frame and it looks and feels OK :oops: :oops: its a bit late to check now as I've already fitted my old hawke back on but if that works out OK I suppose I probably ought to give the connect the benefit of the doubt and go to the effort of fitting it properly ;) I'm starting to think my latest batch of pain meds aren't helping me as much as I'd like :roll: