Hold sensitive PCP

no avatar
wastrel

Re: Hold sensitive PCP

Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:09 pm

For Raj (& anyone else reading) NO the tree is not 25m away, the target is, just 25m up! or down! makes no difference, I don't change aim points, I still hit my targets/quarry, I wouldn't fire otherwise!
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

raygun

Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:33 pm

Does this Pythagoras bloke shoot FT or HFT and how long has he been a member ?

ATB
Ray.

Timmytree

Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:37 pm

Raj wrote:For Wastrel ....
If the tree is 25 mtrs away and the target is 25 mtrs up the tree, the distance covered by your pellet is 35.35 mtrs - Simple calc. using Pythagoras. This distance would usually result in a drop if you are zeroed at 25 yards but this drop would be countered by the rise to be expected with the angle you are holding the rifle at - 45 degrees.

If you moved closer to the tree, say to 10 yards, the distance your pellet covers would be 27 yards. Then you would find that the pellet is hitting higher.

To exaggerate this, What do you think would happen if you aimed vertically up or down with a scope that had been zeroed while holding the rifle horizontal?
If you are trying this, down is easier - climb to the top of a tall building and put your target flat on the ground by the building ... As long as it is safe of course! :)

Shouldn't we factor in the height of the barrel from the ground? Somebody might be wearing high heels. :? :oops:

Geordie

Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:33 pm

Raj wrote:Shoot high, Aim low ;)

Yup! I shoot Crows off the top of a pylon at 43 yards with a thirty yard zero and I have to give it a smidge of holdunder
AA s410K .177
BSA R10 .177 Super carbine. (Blacky)

Timmytree

Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:47 pm

Geordie wrote:

Yup! I shoot Crows off the top of a pylon at 43 yards with a thirty yard zero and I have to give it a smidge of holdunder

43 yards to the pylon or 43 yards to the crow?

Geordie

Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:33 pm

Timmytree wrote:
Geordie wrote:

43 yards to the pylon or 43 yards to the crow?

To the crow Tim ;)
AA s410K .177
BSA R10 .177 Super carbine. (Blacky)

james79

Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:33 pm

raygun wrote:Parallax error.

You are not looking through the scope the same way in each position. As most of my shooting is prone, this is the position in which I zero. When shooting in any other position I take care that I do not induce any parallax error. It doesn't always work :lol:
You should always be looking through the centre line of your scope. That is if you have your scope "optically centred". If it's not and you are still looking through the centre line you will get PA error in one direction.

ATB
Ray.

Could parallax be a significant issue with a connect? If so I'd put money on that being a factor as I was struggling with head position due to the angle of the shot to the degree I was resting my eyebrow on the scope :? I assumed with it being a near zero eye relief scope that parallax wouldn't be an issue :cry:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool

raygun

Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:48 pm

The Connect is superb for eliminating PA error because the eye relief is very short. Having said that if as you say you had your eyebrow resting on the scope you were certainly not looking through the centre.

If you thing about FT shooters sitting on a cushion with their rifle resting on their knee they invariably have some form of hamster(riser) to raise their rifle up. Leaning back with your knee raised is going to create a very awkward position for your head.

Even with the Connect I would suspect PA error.

ATB
Ray.

james79

Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:02 pm

Thanks for that ray, looks like I need to look in to my technique as far as that kind of shot is concerned with my current setup! The annoying thing is I was getting good groupings, unfortunately it just didn't happen to be where I was aiming :oops: Thanks again, James :)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool

no avatar
poguemahone

Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:59 pm

i was going to put a link to a calculator site, where you type in distance to target, angle of incline, and a few other details, and it'll calculate the holdunder you need to allow for shooting upbank/downbank, but i cant be bothered :lol:
to anyone who feels that you dont need to allow for the affect of gravity when shooting upbank/downbank, please dont shoot at live quarry until you've done some test shots at a 45 degree angle up into a tree. if these test shots confirm that theres no gravity in the area you're shooting in, then you wont need to allow for it. simple ;)