Is this S200 performing ok?

no avatar
Chuck Glider

Re: Is this S200 performing ok?

Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:55 pm

I agree Rog, or the lighter hammer spring. However, how can I do that? There's no slot or Allen key hole...
Pfft in peace ... 8-)

Raj

Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:47 pm

Judging by how deep your Main Spring Adjustment screw (No.22 in the manual) is wound in, I would hazard a guess that the spring is already a lighter spring .... as per Roger. You can get a pencil eraser (rubber), whittle it down to the same diameter as the minor diameter of the thread (say 14mm) and try using that to put pressure on the adjuster and unwind it at the same time. Remember, you have the tightly wound spring helping you push the screw out.

In the past, I have managed to do this by merely using my finger but then the adjustment screw end was flat. I wouldn't advise that on your rifle because they have left a nasty pip on the end of the screw ... to put you off from trying. :)

Before you try it, please check either side of the action for 3mm grub screw that is sometimes inserted to lock off the adjustment screw and stop it moving.
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
Chuck Glider

Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:09 pm

Thanks Raj. That helps a lot! I was also wondering about those side grub screws, so thank you for explaining that as well. Assuming I manage to get that main spring bolt moving, then should I move that only, or also the venturi? I find it interesting that the venturi is placed to be accessible with stock on, so it seems to be an adjustment that should be available.
Pfft in peace ... 8-)

Raj

Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:34 pm

Ideally, you should use the main spring adjustment to get the power to slightly up above where you need to be. Then, choke it slightly down with the venturi screw. This seems to have a steadying effect on the consistency.
I liken it to driving at 72 mph with your accelerator but bringing it down to 70 mph with your brake .... which, if you think about it, would be a good way to maintain speed if the power output of your car engine (think un-regulated firing valve) was a bit inconsistent.

The reason the screw is visible through the stock is because once upon a time, we had no such thing as anti-tamper .... or yobs turning the power up willy-nilly and so it was alright to tweak your rifle :mrgreen:

no avatar
Chuck Glider

Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:23 pm

Here's an update. It was easy to get the hammer spring cap nut out. After marking the cap nut on the side nearest the grub screw, I gripped the pin in the middle with long nose pliers and turned it out quite easily. Took 3.5 turns until it was flush with the receiver block, so I know how deep to put it back in its original position :D

How can I tell what kind of spring I have - 6ftlb or standard? Is there an easy way to know by examining the spring? :?:

The choke cap however, is much harder. I don't have a Dremel. I've started cutting a slot with a junior hacksaw, but wanted to check with you all first whether that is a good or bad idea! Is it a screw thread or riveted? I don't want to mess it up, so please advise on best ways to do this.

Thanks!

Chuck

Pfft in peace.... 8-)
Pfft in peace ... 8-)

no avatar
Roger5

Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:32 pm

Chuck Glider wrote:Here's an update. It was easy to get the hammer spring cap nut out. After marking the cap nut on the side nearest the grub screw, I gripped the pin in the middle with long nose pliers and turned it out quite easily. Took 3.5 turns until it was flush with the receiver block, so I know how deep to put it back in its original position :D

How can I tell what kind of spring I have - 6ftlb or standard? Is there an easy way to know by examining the spring? :?:

The choke cap however, is much harder. I don't have a Dremel. I've started cutting a slot with a junior hacksaw, but wanted to check with you all first whether that is a good or bad idea! Is it a screw thread or riveted? I don't want to mess it up, so please advise on best ways to do this.

Thanks!

Chuck it's a screw thread on the cap, and there is difference with spring as they are two different part nos, if you need 7.5j it's cz23/2 £2.64 off Julian, and cutting a slot is ok. Rog
Pfft in peace.... 8-)

no avatar
Chuck Glider

Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:16 pm

OK, a bit more of an update. After a bit of hacksawing, I managed to get the choke cap off as well. So, I've reassembled the gun with the following settings compared to original (remember it was at around 10.4 ftlb with RWS CO2 Target 7gr pellets):

-- hammer spring, 1.5 turns less tension
-- choke, 3.0 turns opened up

Tomorrow I may be able to Chrono test. With a bit of luck it will be around 8ftlb, so then I can close up the choke a bit to get it to 7ish ft lb.

The problem now though, is that I stripped the thread on the front barrel bracket when doing up the stock screw :oops: The original is a plastic thingy, so I suppose it's time for an upgrade! Any suggestions who sells a nice front barrel bracket for the S200?

Chuck

Pfft in peace.... 8-)
Pfft in peace ... 8-)

no avatar
Roger5

Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:36 pm

no avatar
Chuck Glider

Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:56 pm

Very, very expensive, but can I resist a brass support bracket... :mrgreen:
Pfft in peace ... 8-)

Raj

Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:39 pm

You can always get a plastic replacement for not a lot. I replaced my screw with one size up after tapping the damaged hole on my band to M5.

And you really want to open the barrel hole up to float your barrel. You will not believe the difference 8-)