AA Pro sport or walther LGU ?

Sake-san

Re: AA Pro sport or walther LGU ?

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:30 am

I have to agree with Davy, if the rifle was strictly to be left in an "out of the box" unfettled state then I too would take the LGU.
Simply because for me the LGU piston stroke makes this rifle easier to shoot consistently.
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun

no avatar
Brooksy

Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:09 pm

Dave at Staffordshire Custom Rifles has a nice .177 LGU for sale. Good price too.

WALTHER LGU MASTER .177 CALIBRE AMBI BEECH STOCK c/w HAWKE SPORT HD 3-9x40AO MILDOT SCOPE.FEW MARKS
£295 (COMMISSION SALE)

http://www.scr-airguns.co.uk/guns_740_1024981671.jpg
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.

no avatar
wastrel

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:36 pm

I await wastrels response....... :evil:[/quote]

are you joking? the last time I tried to take issue with zippy I got blootered all over the forum :o :( :cry:
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
wastrel

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:38 pm

I seem to recall the some people were using LGU internals as an upgrade, I think it was AA rifles they were upgrading, if memory serves (it usually doesn`t!)
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
wastrel

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:42 pm

wastrel wrote:I await wastrels response....... :evil:

are you joking? the last time I tried to take issue with zippy I got blootered all over the forum :o :( :cry:[/quote]
and anyway, I can`t as I`ve never owned a PS or TX, for a very good reason, they were both out of my budget, the LGU is much cheaper.
oops, hit quote instead of edit, hey ho.
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

Sake-san

Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:04 pm

wastrel wrote:I seem to recall the some people were using LGU internals as an upgrade, I think it was AA rifles they were upgrading, if memory serves (it usually doesn`t!)

Nowt wrong with your memory sir, the LGU piston & seal makes for a very simple, drop in, short stroke & seal upgrade tweak for a TX200 MKIII.
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun

no avatar
pelletcaster

Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:41 pm

Sorry but I cant take this uncommented.
I'm - after several HWs and a TX200HC which I love - the proud owner of a LGV-CU and a LGU-Master. Sold another LGU-CU on 'cause I wasn't keen about the stock.

[quote="zippy"]To be totally honest the TX200HC all day,,,, as HC has the same trigger and barrel as the pro sport but a lot cheaper and it is a little shorter and lighter in weight than the pro sport with a stronger cocking arm.
"a lot cheaper" is relative and depends on the local market.

I own the pro sport and 2 TX200HC... the TX200HC is the best value for the money you get more rifle for less money.
"the best value" is as above relative and depends on the local market but if price levels are comparable I tend to agree.
eg, the pro sport is expensive and has a weaker more complex cocking lever mechanism.
the pro sport is for looks only.

The tx200hc is a little shorter and lighter in weight and has exactly the same trigger and barrel.
OK
The tx200hc has a stronger all steel cocking action.
Also true
Accuracy is the same as the pro sport but way cheaper.
you can fit a silencer/suppressor if you so desire to the TX200HC.
Simply not true

The Walther LGU is far too heavy this rifle weighs a ton.
400 Grams difference on paper are relative. You may feel it depending on application.
Parts are less quality than the Air Arms products.
Totally wrong
The stock on the LGU is crap...
Which stock version are you talking about? So generaly your statement is totally wrong
The trigger on the LGU is crap.
Totally wrong. Nearly all the trigger issues appeared by some fools messing around without any knowledge about trigger function at all.
The cocking arm has way too much movement and can lean over and miss the detent on closing.
For sure not on mine.
The LGU is longer in length.
89 mm compared to the HC, 14 mm with the full length - so what the hell?!
The LGU is a heavy lump.
As above. Additional question: are you a Sissy? So turn to PCP

see the cocking arm issues on the LGU... link here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRoD4bPnAh8
totally biased

If you want a great spring rifle that ticks all the boxes for home servicing and very high quality, accuracy, price and handling the TX200HC is the rifle.
You MAY be right from YOUR point of view but for some people it may be quite different.
Home servicing? I don't see any difference in the two systems making this more or less easier or difficult.
Quality is on par.
Accuracy is on par.
Price depends on the local market of the customer.
Handling ist absolutely the same with the full-length tx200, slightly easier with the HC I admit but anyway playing any role just depending from the service put to.

So - thanks for your ideas but please think a little bit more globaly in the future. Though living on an island and brexiting - there remains still something around.
TX
Andreas
Live is a journey - not a destination.
-----------------------------------------
AA TX200 HC / LGU Master / LGV-CU / HW35 / HW50s (1974) / HW50S (2015) / HW90 / DIANA 34 T01
DS MK4iS-S / SPA P-12 / CZ200S-Green

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:09 pm

Blimey! Didn't expect choice of rifle being blamed on Brexit!

no avatar
gary martin

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:20 pm

well, if I were a non tinkering person my money, drum roll goes to the LGU. it shoots well straight from the box. Less money outlay, I am no fan of the trigger I much prefer the AA unit, no so keen on the stock either. Depends on what you want, aesthetically I prefer the Pro sport though. My advice try both if possible, I am sure you would like either, but one or the other will seem just that little bit more natural for yourself.
Gary.

no avatar
zippy

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:53 pm

pelletcaster wrote:Sorry but I cant take this uncommented.
I'm - after several HWs and a TX200HC which I love - the proud owner of a LGV-CU and a LGU-Master. Sold another LGU-CU on 'cause I wasn't keen about the stock.

zippy wrote:To be totally honest the TX200HC all day,,,, as HC has the same trigger and barrel as the pro sport but a lot cheaper and it is a little shorter and lighter in weight than the pro sport with a stronger cocking arm.
"a lot cheaper" is relative and depends on the local market.

I own the pro sport and 2 TX200HC... the TX200HC is the best value for the money you get more rifle for less money.
"the best value" is as above relative and depends on the local market but if price levels are comparable I tend to agree.
eg, the pro sport is expensive and has a weaker more complex cocking lever mechanism.
the pro sport is for looks only.

The tx200hc is a little shorter and lighter in weight and has exactly the same trigger and barrel.
OK
The tx200hc has a stronger all steel cocking action.
Also true
Accuracy is the same as the pro sport but way cheaper.
you can fit a silencer/suppressor if you so desire to the TX200HC.
Simply not true

The Walther LGU is far too heavy this rifle weighs a ton.
400 Grams difference on paper are relative. You may feel it depending on application.
Parts are less quality than the Air Arms products.
Totally wrong
The stock on the LGU is crap...
Which stock version are you talking about? So generaly your statement is totally wrong
The trigger on the LGU is crap.
Totally wrong. Nearly all the trigger issues appeared by some fools messing around without any knowledge about trigger function at all.
The cocking arm has way too much movement and can lean over and miss the detent on closing.
For sure not on mine.
The LGU is longer in length.
89 mm compared to the HC, 14 mm with the full length - so what the hell?!
The LGU is a heavy lump.
As above. Additional question: are you a Sissy? So turn to PCP

see the cocking arm issues on the LGU... link here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRoD4bPnAh8
totally biased

If you want a great spring rifle that ticks all the boxes for home servicing and very high quality, accuracy, price and handling the TX200HC is the rifle.
You MAY be right from YOUR point of view but for some people it may be quite different.
Home servicing? I don't see any difference in the two systems making this more or less easier or difficult.
Quality is on par.
Accuracy is on par.
Price depends on the local market of the customer.
Handling ist absolutely the same with the full-length tx200, slightly easier with the HC I admit but anyway playing any role just depending from the service put to.

So - thanks for your ideas but please think a little bit more globaly in the future. Though living on an island and brexiting - there remains still something around.
TX
Andreas

Hmmm, so why did Walther copy the TX200 layout instead of coming up with their own product layout and design... says it all,,, the TX is the original and the best.

The after sales value and desire own will be more for the TX200.

The TX200 has been known to achieve 40,000 shots with little more than re- lube and spring and pistol seal change.... WOW!

The LGU is cheaper because of the stock and the trigger. The LGU is poor man's TX200.

The stock on LGU looks like a piece of pallet driftwood that showed up on a beach.

The trigger may as well be made of chocolate.
Air Arms tx200hc, mtc taipan, 4-16X50
Air Arms tx200hc, falcon menace, 4-14x44 FFP
Air Arms Pro-sport, mtc mamber
Air Arms TDR, falcon menace 10x44
HW 100t falcon menace 4-14X44 FFP
HW 100t richer optics
HW 97KT
HW 45 Geordie custom grips
Alecto