Hill's Pump

no avatar
peters410

Hill's Pump

Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:34 pm

I bought a S410 carbine in .177 last week and a Hills pump to top up the charge. This is the first pre-charged air rifle I've owned, always had springers before. I found it a bit tricky get the pump attached though not impossible but after 60 pumps there was no pressure increase on the rifle dial. Does anyone have any experience of hand pumps and can tell me where I am going wrong.

My thanks for any advice you give.

no avatar
peters410

Re: Hill's Pump

Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:33 am

Given no replies, I presume nobody uses hand pumps on here, do you all use divers bottles for your refills?

no avatar
kevingambrell

Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:47 am

Is the pressure relief valve done up tight on the pump? If your charging from 0 pressure in the rifle the firing valve may no be sealing against the pressure of the spring on the striker.
Try cocking the rifle for the first 20 or 30 pumps, if you see air pressure building on the rifle de-cock and continue. Thats what I had to do with mine the first time I filled from 0.
Come to that can you hear air escaping from any place on the rifle as you pump. What does the gauge on the pump say as your pumping, id trust the pump gauge before the rifle's gauge.

no avatar
peters410

Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:28 pm

I must thank kevingamble first for of all for his reply. Yes the pressure relief valve is tight, it would require the use of pliers to get it any tighter. I did try coking the rifle last time I tried to charge it. I won't hear the air escaping I'm almost deaf. The Pump gauge gives a lower reading than the rifle gauge, in fact the pump gauge says 100bar after each pump then falls away and the rifle gauge says just under 150bar. Next time I try, probably this evening, I will try nipping the relief valve with the pliers (but not too tight), and cock the rifle before filling, then try 50 pumps. then see what happens and report back.

Thanks again kevingamble.

no avatar
wastrel

Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:56 pm

my experience with my dads Raider 10 near drove me nuts trying to get air into it with a hand pump, turns out you`ve to have the cocking arm in the open postion before it`ll take air, I`ve never had a 400 so, not sure if I can advise here, but might be worth checking everthing is in order for the gun to take air in.
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
peters410

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:26 pm

Thanks for your reply wastrel, I do know if the 410 is empty you must cock the rifle before filling, that much I gleaned from the manual. Mine came with a pressure of 150bar and I fire about 15 shots before I tried to do a top up. It is now about 100bar so I would not have thought it needs to be cocked before filling. I was hoping to find other 410 users on this site who may be able to shed some light.

Timmytree

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:37 pm

I would have thought that topping up the s400 series is no different to any other PCP, you have to pump until the pressure in the line equals the pressure in the gun before anything gets into the cylinder, never trust the rifle gauge though, go by the one on the pump.

no avatar
peters410

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:47 pm

That is logical Timmytree, keep pumping until the pressure in the line exceeds the pressure in the rifle cylinder. Yes I'll go by the pump gauge, that is what people keep telling me. Better have a big steak pudding before I start, just to build my strength up.

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:49 pm

the gauges on the s4** series aren't the best so as timmy has said only trust the one on the pump
apart from that you have me stumped :?
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177