the best scopes just happen to be mine, Hurrah.

no avatar
wastrel

the best scopes just happen to be mine, Hurrah.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:18 pm

watching posts on the forum about scopes had me searching makes, models, prices reviews etc.
now, I`ve a Hawke Airmax 4-12x44AO & a Nikko Stirling Mountmaster 4-12x50AO,
need a scope -FOR AN AIR RIFLE?
get one of these, there`s not much between them but the Nikko shades it for me, a smidge clearer, could be OL size or the fact it`s only 18 months old & not used much.
now, I`ve no idea what individual members require from a scope obviously, but for general hunting at sensible distance say, 50m max, I`ve never felt either & especially the Nikko lacked, well, anything I require anyway-general target shooting & some pest control.
in a recent post of mine, I asked what distance we ACTUALLY shoot at, I don`t think more than 50m was mentioned once!
the more I use the scopes the more I get used to the adjustments and I gotta say, they work brilliantly except when at maximum settings when eye relief can get a bit dodgy (on the Airmax)
tried to find reviews for my Airmax but I think it`s an older model, not the EV so, can`t honestly give a cost for it,
but the Nikko can be had for around £50 which I think is brilliant value.
the price of some of the scopes some members are asking about, I`d want a gun for them prices!
before you fork out for an all singing all dancing side wheel adjusting, battery operated illuminated reticle- ask yourself, do I really need this? am I gonna use those functions? I don't, I wouldn't!
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
peters410

Re: the best scopes just happen to be mine, Hurrah.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:27 pm

A few years ago I read a paper on scopes for centre fire rifles, but which sort rifles doesn't matter. The author had tested several scopes from cheapish ones like Bushnels and Nikkos to expensive ones Schmidt & Bender and Zeiss, I recall he also tested Leupolds and Nightforce. The big difference between them was use at dusk, he found he could carry on using Zeiss and Schmidt & Bender for a further twenty minutes after the rest became useless. I have found the same, on my stalking rifle I have now a Zeiss 4x32 and on my 22 rimfire a Schmidt & Bender 4x36. I spend money on quality glass not on high magnification and the rest you mention. And when I've replaced a rifle I've kept my old scope for the new rifle. Now I don't suggest this quality glass is necessary for an air rifle but for hunting purposes if pick up an 4 or 6 power Schmidt & Bender or a Zeiss off evil bay you'd never regret it. Nobody wants fixed power scope these days so you won't get a lot of competition with the bidding. But the problem comes if you want to use your air rifle for other things where you may need 8 to 24 power.

I was shooting with a club member who had a scope that went up to 36 or 48 power I forget which. I said to him "That's a good all round scope you've got there, you can use it for astronomy when it is too dark to shoot."

I just like low power fixed magnification on my scopes, one of my problems. What do I use on my air rifles a AGS 16x56 on my TX200 and Hawkes 4x40 on both my S410 and 22 not Air Arms rifle.