Hills Mk4 or FX4 air pump?

ralf

Hills Mk4 or FX4 air pump?

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:17 pm

Hi all.....I have just joined up having updated my S400 with a Rowans magazine attachment to an S410 Carbine Super-lite . The Rowan attachment was an inexpensive DIY way to upgrade to a multi-shot after single loading of .177 pellets in the cold and reduced light for a few years, but, although a great improvement, it was a bit fiddly for my insensitive fingers and poor memory - "did I just load it ?" It's an age thing! I did succeed in getting a few double loads but the S400 pushed them out without any trouble and they still landed successfully on(in?!) the live targets! I sold the whole S400 kit combo, including the air bottle with the idea of trying the air pump route to avoid the necessity of travelling some distance to get the bottle refilled. Also, it would mean being able to top up at any time with no fear of ever running out of suitable air....or that's the theory so far!
After hours of searching I have it narrowed down to a choice between the all British and well engineered Hills, now a Mk4, and the Swedish FX4 stage. The Hills pump is reinforced by the support it gets with DIY refill kits and rebuild kits. That seems to be one of it's worthwhile positive features. The FX4 is best for it's simplicity and no need for dry packs, and coupled with the belief that being of Swedish origin it must have very good design features and manufacturing quality like our trusty old Volvo V50.
Any views and experiences would be appreciated, although I suspect that after a head count it might come out nearly 50/50, unless the majority of Club members are purist springers! It would be very good to get first hand feedback rather than rely on mainly the manufacturer's spec. from the retail outlets. So if you have any useful info. please ping it over......Thankshttp://www.airarmsownersclub.com/ ... =post&f=5#

Timmytree

Re: Hills Mk4 or FX4 air pump?

Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:23 pm

Just compare the respective warranties.
I use a Hill pump and haven't had any problems, who actually makes the FX pump, is it a rebadged version of something else?

no avatar
piggy589

Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:14 pm

The best type of pump?............a dive bottle.

roadrunner

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:25 pm

I live within two miles of the hills factory and three miles from custom stocks, all superb sheffield companys

no avatar
lelalo01

Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:41 pm

few weeks ago I had to disassemble my Hills MK2 to change o-rings, and after my order for spare parts I had to get in touch with Hills' Customer Service in order to ask a questions and solve a problem.
Wonderful Customer Service, over and above the call of duty!
This, in my opinion, is what makes a difference; specs are important, but for a long lasting item I always consider the quality of Repair Service and availability of Customer Care.
For sure, my next pump will be again a Hills one!!
Lorenzo