SMK XS 19, i know but bear with me

roadrunner

Re: SMK XS 19, i know but bear with me

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:30 pm

Ok so this has sparked a debate and i havent got it yet, i have two laser accurate air arms guns that amaze me,would i modify either of the stocks er no,i have a tuning kit in the prosport but nothing else,
I want a project to play with if fails fare enough, its something to do when its raining and you can all follow and laugh at me if you wish,it wont end up costing a bag load of money and it only has to been accurate to 15 yards, its a bit of cheap fun

no avatar
Axelrod

Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:30 pm

It,s not what it is, it,s what you can do with it. The enjoyment factor has got to be worth more than the price, and i,m sure the rats won,t be able the make or model. dave

no avatar
Ducat

Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:57 pm

Have a look at the UK Chinese airgun forum. It's quite astonishing what people can do with those SMK specials with a bit of TLC and a couple of quid.

Saying that do some research, as even the Chinese have started to try and cut production costs, and what was previously a fairly good copy of a Rekord trigger on some rifles has been changed to a hopeless pressed steel jobbie that belongs in the bin!

Timmytree

Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:26 pm

Just have fun with it!
The worst that can happen is you spend a few quid and a couple of hours and get nowhere, you might just end up with a sweet shooting rifle that you really enjoy.

no avatar
wastrel

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:51 pm

I for one hope you go ahead & be sure to post pics & describe what you did & the results, cheap as chips those wee things, I have one myself, would love to see just how good you could make this wee thing perform.
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

roadrunner

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:53 pm

Timmytree wrote:Just have fun with it!
The worst that can happen is you spend a few quid and a couple of hours and get nowhere, you might just end up with a sweet shooting rifle that you really enjoy.

Thats exactly what i was trying to get across, i am by nature a tinker'er and part of it will be to alter the hum drum stock into something interesting give a lube tune maybe a trigger and tin bum guides,all for the fun of it

no avatar
wastrel

Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:34 pm

I had mine apart & noticed the piston latch end was a generic design, after finding a Wierach Record trigger on ebay, I reckon it could be fitted to my Westlake, I`m dying to try it & fit some drop in kit to just see, how well this wee gun could be, then turn up at a springer bash &, hopefully, put in a respectable performance with one of the cheapest guns on the market, that`s my pipe dream!
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
Suffolk Rifle

Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:01 pm

roadrunner wrote:
Timmytree wrote:Just have fun with it!

Thats exactly what i was trying to get across, i am by nature a tinker'er and part of it will be to alter the hum drum stock into something interesting give a lube tune maybe a trigger and tin bum guides,all for the fun of it

My youngest son has the XS19-18 version, it's accurate out to well past 40 yards & although the trigger isn't that brilliant standard, it's usable - we did have to fit a new spring into it (our fault for trying the tin/zinc lightweight pellets in two springers, both had to have new springs) and then we had fun getting it back to legal levels - now there's no pre-load on the spring at all & it's running at 11.6, alternative stocks can be got, he's got a Benjamin Trail wooden one on now - it's a straight fit ;)

no avatar
Jinx

Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:13 pm

What about the Hatsan, generally regarded as better than the SMKs but still bottom dollar

roadrunner

Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:33 pm

Trouble is i know the history on this gun and the owner so iam happy to invest soley on that premise, iam always a little dubious as to why people sell stuff, but he has a 20 rifle collection and needs to shed some stock