TX200HC Trigger Adjsutment

Pav

TX200HC Trigger Adjsutment

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:58 am

Hi everyone,
I am the very happy and proud owner of a new TX200HC in 22. I've had the rifle a little over 2 weeks now and apart from zeroing it in the back garden, I didn't manage to get it to the range until last Friday. The TX200 is my second springer, but my first under-lever. I shot 3 different TX200's prior to buying and now I'm an owner I'm wondering why I didn't buy one sooner. :D

I didn't take to long to get some acceptable groups at 25 yards, but I have an issue with the trigger. I apologise if this has been done to death in the past, but I couldn't find a thread discussing trigger adjustment. The first stage has great length and feel for this old fart, however the second stage is, well best describe as vague. There appears to be no consistency of the point at which the shot is let off. Happy with the first stage I adjusted the the second stage by 1/4 -1/3 of a turn in very slight increments. This did improve the predictability of the let off and very slightly increased the pressure required to let the shot too, making a little ore predictable. Since making this adjustment I was advised by a friend that I should have left the trigger as set by the factory until the rifle was truly bedded in. :shock:

My questions are:
1. Would you recommend that I leave the trigger adjustments alone until the rifle is bedded in?
2. What is the best procedure of adjustment to get the best from the trigger?
3. Are there any specific guides available on the net for tuning the TX200HC trigger?

I have read one article on the internet which gave the following advice on TX200 trigger adjustment: Firstly, adjust the first stage to the point where it lets the rifle off. :o Then adjust the first stage to the point where it no longer lets the rifle off. With this done one adjusts the second stage to ones preference.

I have decided I will make no further adjustments to the rifle, instead preferring to ask for the advice of the members on here.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to your input.

All the best.
Pav
S510 177 Walnut Hawke Eclipse 4-16x50 IR AO
TX200HC 22 CS500 Hawke 3-12x50 IR AO
TX200HC 177 CS700 Falcon 4-14x44FFP IR
TX200 177 Walnut 4-16x44 TargetMaster
HW98 177 Nikko Stirling Targetmaster 4-16x44
HW77 22 Beach 3-12x50 AO Mountmaster
BASC Member

no avatar
FPoole

Re: TX200HC Trigger Adjsutment

Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:26 pm

This is hard to explain without giving the trigger a try in person. Do you feel a definite stop at the end of the first stage? If you do, you need to turn the rear screw in the trigger blade anti-clockwise in small amounts like 1/4th turn until the gun fires in the first stage. At the exact point when the second stage goes away you can turn the screw back in 1/4th turn. This should get you what you want. If you don't feel a definite stop to the first stage, you will need to screw the rear trigger blade screw clockwise by very small amounts until you have a second stage. It takes a lot of cocking and firing, but this is the best way unless you take the trigger unit out of the gun and adjust it. The trigger can be cocked by hand, out of the gun, and this saves the step of having to shoot after each adjustment. Even if you get the trigger the way you like with the unit out of the gun, you will still need to fine tune the rear screw in most cases. Now you are truly confused and all seems hopeless. Is there someone near, with experience, that can take a look?

Pav

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:19 pm

Thank you your reply FPoole.

I'm far from confused and understand your explanation. :lol: If it takes a lot of cocking and firing, whilst making these adjustments, it will give me the opportunity to perfect my hold with the rifle. :oops: I do have a shooter at my local club who may be able to help, but he isn't always at the range when I attend. I'm going to the range this Sunday, wife permitting of course. In the meantime I will continue the bedding in process, whilst getting to know the rifles little nuances. :roll:

All the best.
Pav
S510 177 Walnut Hawke Eclipse 4-16x50 IR AO
TX200HC 22 CS500 Hawke 3-12x50 IR AO
TX200HC 177 CS700 Falcon 4-14x44FFP IR
TX200 177 Walnut 4-16x44 TargetMaster
HW98 177 Nikko Stirling Targetmaster 4-16x44
HW77 22 Beach 3-12x50 AO Mountmaster
BASC Member

no avatar
FPoole

Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:45 pm

That's good. I usually get confused just trying to remember how to explain. Once you get the adjustment how you like it the TX trigger can be very good. There are some guides on polishing the sears and this will make most TX triggers even better. I like a little longer first stage because it gives the initial lock up on cocking a little more sear engagement and this seems safer to me. I bought a used TX that had the gun firing in the first stage with the touch of a finger. I could not touch the trigger without the gun firing, no matter how light I tried to do it.