Pro Target / Rn10 shot count

no avatar
Stoohundred

Pro Target / Rn10 shot count

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:57 pm

Hi all, I have recently acquired myself a nice rn10 and am currently changing some parts on it so not got around to shooting it properly yet.

My question is, what is the expected shot count on an Rn10/Pro Target? , it has a 400mm tube and mk3 reg.

The gun feels a little front heavy and rather than add weight to the back of the gun, I am thinking of changing to the 300mm tube and making a shorter carbon shroud for it to balance it up a little better.

I'm only ever going to need 40-50 shots per fill, enough to get around an FT course, so will I still get enough shots with the 300mm tube?

I would recon, as its regulated then there should be plenty of shots, but not sure as proTargets/rn10's are new to me and don't know much about them yet.

Any input or info on these guns will be gratefully received, cheers, Sean
AA MPR FT .177 8-40x60 Tasco Custom Shop (FT Setup)
S200 MK2 .177 Robert Lane Reg Hawke Airmax 3-12x50 SF FOR SALE

no avatar
Lofty

Re: Pro Target / Rn10 shot count

Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:40 pm

If it is an early RN10 /PT with a shrouded barrel then change it for either acarbon or ali one. The original barrel shrouds were, IIRC, steel :o and made the guns quite front heavy. You'll need a shroud of some description as the barrel is quite a bit shorter than the cylinder, and is probably in the 'white' so will need protecting from the elements. The original shroud also had some slots cut in as it was the muzzle break as well.

Having said you could then go the whole hog and fit carbine cylinder with shortened and lighter shroud as AA did produce a carbine version back in the '90's but I'm not sure of the shot count for that one, so possibly those cylinders are available ??.

I still use a 'Pro Target FT' or as it was marketed then the 'Pro Target Mk 3' , not to be confused with models fitted with a Mk3 reg although it does have one. The main difference that the Pro-Target MK 3 had is a factory fitted fully floating barrel due to public demand at the time even if AA deemed it un-nessecary to float it.
To lighten mine futher it has a titanium cylinder now fitted.

HTH.

Lofty

no avatar
Stoohundred

Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:15 pm

Thanks for the reply lofty, yes that was the plan, to fit the carbine cylinder and a carbon shroud, it currently has an aluminium semi silenced shroud on it and the classic cylinder.

I have just spent some time on the polishing buff to bring the shroud to a lovely shine and have fitted the FTP 900 filler end with a gauge onto it, and it looks pretty nice, so I might just leave it as it is at the moment and see how I go. Although I do like the sound of a titanium tube, can you get those from Julian?

If I still feel it's front heavy then I will change it , as I'm sure I would still get enough shots to shoot an FT course even witht the carbine cylinder.
AA MPR FT .177 8-40x60 Tasco Custom Shop (FT Setup)
S200 MK2 .177 Robert Lane Reg Hawke Airmax 3-12x50 SF FOR SALE

no avatar
Lofty

Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:37 pm

No problem.
I had RN10's and Pro Target's back in the '90's shooting FT. Had s bit of a break and have come back about 18 months ago.

Mine had the Ti cylinder on it when I bought it. However the TI tube was made by Mick Tronmans. He's well known for Ti stuff. Not sure if he's on this forum though.

The history of the RN10 goes back a little further.
They were based on the RWS CA100 10 metre rifles. Original ones had a longer barrel and shroud arrangement than the cylinder and a larger muzzle break /weight.
The original 'bridge' mount if you look closely was specially made as the dovetails were of different heights on either side of the breech this was due to the 10 metre heritage as they only used diopter sights on the rear of the action.
The shroud also had dovetail grooves at the muzzle end for the sights as well
The RN designation was from Robert Nicholls and the 10 from the 10 metre origins. IIRC he even had RN 10 as the number plate on his car, I recall seeing a picture back then although it may have been staged ?
There were issues with early regs and eventually the Mk 3 reg was fitted. This reg was based on a design by Joe Korick in the States and had been pretty reliable.

All in all they are reliable and have stood the test of time . Still quite a few out there and often recommended.

Hope that you get yours sorted.

Lofty.