12 ft/lbs

no avatar
mark holding

Re: 12 ft/lbs

Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:03 pm

To many, like me included when in conversations on the matter, it seems crazy to class an air rifle just over 12 ft/lb as a firearm. They, should have had a separate license for high powered air rifles, in a similar class as a shotgun license. You can go out and buy a compound bow, or cross bow, who's power are well over 100 ft/lb when you take into account the weight of the arrow, or crossbow bolt and both with no license required. Maybe its something to be looked at in the future, but in a Country that seems to be against the use of any type of gun, by the law abiding shooting population, I wont be holding my breath.

Blackbaronfish

Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:44 pm

mark holding wrote:To many, like me included when in conversations on the matter, it seems crazy to class an air rifle just over 12 ft/lb as a firearm. They, should have had a separate license for high powered air rifles, in a similar class as a shotgun license. You can go out and buy a compound bow, or cross bow, who's power are well over 100 ft/lb when you take into account the weight of the arrow, or crossbow bolt and both with no license required. Maybe its something to be looked at in the future, but in a Country that seems to be against the use of any type of gun, by the law abiding shooting population, I wont be holding my breath.

I think they have it spot on with their licensing. 12 ft and under no licence and any thing over fac.
12 ft is a lot of energy considering. If you imagine a Clift face at 12 paces, how far are you prepared to go near it. There has to be a cut off.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Pat g

Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:57 pm

mark holding wrote:To many, like me included when in conversations on the matter, it seems crazy to class an air rifle just over 12 ft/lb as a firearm. They, should have had a separate license for high powered air rifles, in a similar class as a shotgun license. You can go out and buy a compound bow, or cross bow, who's power are well over 100 ft/lb when you take into account the weight of the arrow, or crossbow bolt and both with no license required. Maybe its something to be looked at in the future, but in a Country that seems to be against the use of any type of gun, by the law abiding shooting population, I wont be holding my breath.

No No. The law as it stands is quite sufficient :| We don;t want to make what is already complicated Firearms laws in this country even more complicated. This is what is happening to our friends across the border. A separate license for an airgun albeit 12 ft lbs :roll: A couple of my pals in the borders can hold their airguns on their SGC's and FAC's until renewal. After that they have both said they are not going to bother with 12ft lb air and who can blame them. I for one would probably take the same view. A shame but there it is. One of my mates is going to sell his air rifle when he's visiting me and then he's putting the proceeds towards towards a 22lr. Makes sense. Having said that a 12ft lb air rifle is handy around barns and yards which is pretty much all i use mine for these days.
I agree ref Bows and Crossbows though ;) Ludicrous that any scroat can go and buy either :roll:
ATB,
Pat
Ceaser Guerini Magnus Sporter 12g
Beretta Urika 2 12g Auto
243 howa 1500, 3-12x50 Zeiss, Wildcat mod
Sako Finfire 22lr
CZ 452 Varmint 17HMR
AA S410 carbine 177
HW 77k SFS stage 2 177

no avatar
Outandabout

Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:30 pm

Personally i think the 12ft/lb law is right. We need a clear cut line to divide sub 12ft/lb and fac. I dont want or need an FAC rated gun for the shooting I do. I can still knock rabbits down at over 50 yards if I want to. Mostly its between 20 to 30yards and my gun Copes very well with them at these ranges. I fully understand the people who need and do want FAC rifles. However i think whatever power level is chosen to be the demarkation line there will always be people who see the level as too low and will want more. I mean how many people write on this forum alone about increasing power upto as close to the legal limit as they can ie 11.3, 11.6ft/lb etc. Its just our nature that we want more and to push boundaries.
My view for what little its worth is leave it as it is.
Kevin