1.77 versus .22 Question..

no avatar
Dr B

Re: 1.77 versus .22 Question..

Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:34 pm

I would go further and say there is no difference between the calibres out to 40yds (not that I've seen). Calibre arguments are always contentious, just shoot what works for you and enjoy it.

However, those making the 'too loopy' argument against .22 are mistaken. I've been shooting .22 for hunting for 35 years with no problem. Its 'more' loopy but certainly not 'too loopy'. The .22 is also travels more than fast enough to hit before the animal sees it - thats a myth at least out to 40yds. :D
AA S410 .22, Classic Walnut Thumbhole stock, Hawke 4-12 x 50 Panorama IR/AO/EV
AA S410 .22 Carbine (Cloverleaf Tuned) Walnut stock, Hawke Airmax 30, 4-16 x 50mm IR
AA TX200Hc .22, Walnut stock, Simmons 3-9 x 50mm.

Raj

Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:01 pm

Dr B wrote:The .22 is also travels more than fast enough to hit before the animal sees it - thats a myth at least out to 40yds. :D

Some of the shots taken with a .22 at last year's Air Arms Meet are yet to land and may score points at this year's Meet ..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

Geordie

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:19 pm

Raj wrote:
Dr B wrote:The .22 is also travels more than fast enough to hit before the animal sees it - thats a myth at least out to 40yds. :D

Some of the shots taken with a .22 at last year's Air Arms Meet are yet to land and may score points at this year's Meet ..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: harsh :lol:
AA s410K .177
BSA R10 .177 Super carbine. (Blacky)

no avatar
mark holding

Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:26 pm

I find that it has a lot to do with your ability of knowing your rifle and your ability at grouping well, no matter what calibre you use. After this, its actually knowing your range to the target. This is where people can come unstuck. Different backgrounds to the target can make it easier, or harder to judge your distance to the target. If you are shooting along a farmers fence line with evenly separated fence posts to your target, then that can be a big help, but out on featureless open ground, it can be a lot harder. Its best if you have invested in a range finder to help with the process, especially as the arc of shot is more pronounced in .22 and .25, making aiming points different. I spent 12 years in the Army and the rule was that several people could guess a distance to a target, but all come up with a slightly different answer, so the average was the distance to shoot at. Also a military rifle is more forgiving with only around a 2 inch drop every hundred metres out to 600 metres. We used to aim 4 inches above our aim point at a 100 metres zero, with our sights set at 300 metres. 300 metres was the average battle range, so you knew that a shot at the body centre mass at these ranges were going to do the job, even if you were slightly out. Air rifles being a lot less powerful mean that they aren't as forgiving if you get your distances wrong.

I spent hours with my Webley LiteW8 on the range, testing my .22 calibre from 15 to 55 yards at 5 yard increments, so that I knew the aim off points with my mil dot scope. I then did this with about four or five different brands of pellet, of which all were slightly different in result, as lighter pellets travelled faster and didn't need as much aim off. Once you make up a range card, and go into the field with your range finder, its just a matter of checking the range to the target, and looking at your range card. You can also check ranges with a range finder at different points over your field of target area before you shoot, which is also helpful. If you do this, it matters not, which calibre you use, .177 .20 .22 or .25. The biggest problem after this is windage, as even a small breeze can alter the shot, especially the further out you are to the target. I came to the conclusion that in windy conditions, where you can get cross winds at various ranges to the target, that it wasn't worth the risk of shooting squirrel, rabbit, pigeon etc, as there is a much higher risk of injury, rather than a clean kill. FAC rated rifles, are probably more forgiving, as they travel at higher speeds, and can make use of the larger calibres extra energy, with the benefit of higher muzzle velocities.

no avatar
Dr B

Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:25 pm

Raj wrote:

Haha.....get the .22s tuned then. Some of the ,177s I see are still travelling....long after the rabbit has run off...
Oh no....!!! Its a calibre debate.....run for the hills!!!! :D
AA S410 .22, Classic Walnut Thumbhole stock, Hawke 4-12 x 50 Panorama IR/AO/EV
AA S410 .22 Carbine (Cloverleaf Tuned) Walnut stock, Hawke Airmax 30, 4-16 x 50mm IR
AA TX200Hc .22, Walnut stock, Simmons 3-9 x 50mm.

no avatar
zippy

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:32 pm

The debate regarding.... .177 and .22 has been going on for years just the same as firearm calibers.

In the early years of airguns many people favored the .22 caliber over the .177 Why?, because pellet technology have come a long way form the 1970's
In the early days say the 1970's .22 was favored over .177 because pellets were very poor the only decent pellets available seemed to be eley wasps most .177 pellets could not cut it and lost power and velocity very quickly so everyone in the old days seem to favor .22 caliber, ((old school air-gunners)) coming back into the sport of air gun shooting still buy .22 caliber only to realize later on after been to a shooting club and try out other peoples rifles in.177 cal they the find out the benefits of using .177 caliber. and usually buy another rifle in .177 cal.

Some of the old school air rifles are still been sold today like Weihrauch hw77 and 97k theses rifle are basically made exactly the same as they were back in 1980's.
The thing that has changed is pellet technology like JSB, SO, therefore .177 easier too achieve better accuracy , flatter trajectory, at longer ranges and cheaper to purchase. .177 is a better choice now because of better pellets.
Also with having PCP technology makes things so bloody easy nowadays and with loads of pellet choice in.177 and incredible pellets like JSB, Air Arms this makes outstanding and astonishing accuracy at way longer ranges. we have much better pellets nowadays along with regulated PCP rifles this makes .177 a wise choice.

I own very old Weihrauch hw77 and a new version they are both extremely accurate both as good as each other... its the pellet technology of today that makes the difference so .177 makes more sense as it will do the same job with less holdover and under needed and .177 is cheaper to shoot.
Air Arms tx200hc, mtc taipan, 4-16X50
Air Arms tx200hc, falcon menace, 4-14x44 FFP
Air Arms Pro-sport, mtc mamber
Air Arms TDR, falcon menace 10x44
HW 100t falcon menace 4-14X44 FFP
HW 100t richer optics
HW 97KT
HW 45 Geordie custom grips
Alecto

Raj

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:27 pm

But Zippy ... Arent you forgetting that .22s have so much more power left down range compared to .177s? And on a windy day, isnt a .22 so much better for holding its course as it doesnt get blown about so much? All that stuff you said about better technology and better accuracy ... surely, the same company that makes the nicer .177s also makes really nice .22s so I really think .22s are better, mate. :twisted:

no avatar
wastrel

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:42 pm

can I just add summit to this age old question,- I`ve never seen anyone talk about before! ahem,-
When I bought my (first ever) .177 for plinking, after the first shot I couldn`t see bugger all on the target sheet 35m away? even through my scope!
I`d to walk all the way up to it to see the hit, then adjust scope, then back & forth, just to find my zero!
.22 I could see the hit (or miss) every time, .177`s are tiny if you hit the black ring, be prepared to walk (a lot!)
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

Raj

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:57 pm

See Zippy ? Another good reason to go down the .22 route. Ooooohh ... I love a good .22. That solid feel :) , that sense of weight and gravitas ... 8-) that huge exit hole :twisted: !!! Wooohooo !!! i think I need a cold shower :oops:

no avatar
poguemahone

Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:15 am

maddoghutty wrote:I want too ask you a question guys how come everyone on site seems to shoot 1.77 instead of .22 for hunting you guys all seam to use the 1.77 for both, i allways thought that 1.77 was better for targets because of the flatter trajectory and distance and .22 for the stopping power and accuracy am i still on the write thinking with this or has it all changed with the pcp's so please post your thoughts on this topic thx guys. 8-)

if you know the range to the target, then calibre isnt an issue ;) both calibres kill cleanly, and neither kills better than the other. for anyone who isnt convinced of the stopping power of .177, then have a word with a pathologist who has experience of gunshot wounds, i did :lol:
the extra velocity of .177 causes a greater ''temporary wound cavity'' than the .22, so the damage done by both calibres is the same.
dont worry about over penetration with .177 either, as it'll zip effortlessly through most quarry out to around 35yds, but it'll do more than enough damage on the way through for a clean kill.
.177 isnt more accurate than .22, as is often claimed, as you can shoot ragged 1 holers @ 30-35yds (bench rested) with either 8-)