RN10/pro target reg service

no avatar
Stoohundred

RN10/pro target reg service

Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:33 pm

Hi, I am in the process of servicing an rn10 for a friend of mine, it's the first time I have stripped a rifle if this type, but it seems they are fairly simple once you have it apart and see how it works.

I am wandering wether or not I should service the reg or not?

The gun was shooting perfectly before it was given to me to service, other than the fact that it had blown a seal and dumped all its air.

I have found the offending seal which had gone hard and crumbly and will replace that along with all the others while I have it stripped.

However I am in two minds wether I should touch the reg or not, it's easy just to leave it as is cos it's just one integral piece and as I don't have a test rig to test it on I'm afraid I won't be able to put it back set at the correct pressure, I could use digital calipers and carefully measure all the setting as I take it apart but not sure how accurate that would be?
Also I haven't managed to open up the reg yes as it seems to be very tightly screwed together and don't wanna use heat to loosen it if I'm not replacing the seals.
It's not broke so don't fix it?
But not sure how long it's been since the reg was serviced?
What to do?

Cheers, Sean
AA MPR FT .177 8-40x60 Tasco Custom Shop (FT Setup)
S200 MK2 .177 Robert Lane Reg Hawke Airmax 3-12x50 SF FOR SALE

no avatar
Kev Todd

Re: RN10/pro target reg service

Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:39 pm

If it's consistent then leave it be. 8-)

no avatar
Stoohundred

Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:53 pm

Kev Todd wrote:If it's consistent then leave it be. 8-)

Yeah I think your right, I just needed to hear someone else say it, I just can't help myself sometimes, just have this urge have this urge to take things apart!

Would you say it's worth replacing the firing valve? The existing one looks just fine no signs of deformation, just a small ring mark on it but no "lip" , if it was a s400 I would replace it no question but these ones look a lot sturdier and better made than the 400 firing valves, and as I said it looks fine (plus they are about £16).

I read an interesting thread on here a while ago about how firing valve deformation effects the power curve , but as this is a regulated rifle , I guess it would have little effect.

no avatar
Kev Todd

Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:33 pm

I left the original in mine I think, it was a long time ago. I did have a small leak which was caused by a scratch on the brass valve seat, but it polished out perfectly.

no avatar
Stoohundred

Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:19 pm

It turns out the firing valve for the rn10 is actually £45!!!! Not £16

So that means the existing one will stay, I'm assuming that they are expensive cos they are built to last,they do seem to be a much sturdier design and better made than the s400 ones.