HFT 500

no avatar
Falconhoof

HFT 500

Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:31 am

My quest for a new rifle continues. After looking at S510 thumbhole I've since realised for not much more pounds I can get the HFT500. According to the magazines its an amazing rifle but they allways say that dont they? As I'm shooting a Hammerli AR20FT at the minute I'm kind of used to a hamster and the target style vertical grip such as on the FTP but the HFT500 does seem to be making a good name for itself and I'll be using it for..... well HFT
Seriously considering one of these now, good and bad points if any please oh wise AAOC

thanks in advance

no avatar
milek

Re: HFT 500

Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:29 pm

Hi Pete. I have just ordered mine. I sold the ripper recently and have been on the lookout for another exotic but not a lot came up. The weekend I tried a few guns at a comp and this very nice Steyr came up. Then for no other reason than curiosity I tried a friends 500. It was probably the best fit of any rifle I have tried apart from the ripper and that was without any adjustment for me so it can only get better. Good start but how accurate? everything I could ever ask for thus the order.

no avatar
Falconhoof

Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:28 pm

Milek I shall use you as my own personal guinea pig if thats ok :)

I've handled them before and they seem nice and people say the accuracy is there. Yet to read a bad review aswell. I've never tried one with a hamster so I'd be interested in peoples opinions of them with one fitted.
A lad at our club has one and says I can have a loan to see if I like it, which is allways a big help.
Like I say I've really taken to the target style pistol grip now so that might be a bit of an offput but hopefully there wont be that much difference .
Any input will be gratefully appreciated chaps.

no avatar
Dajo

Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:18 pm

Been shooting one for some months now and really like the adjustability. After adjusting the cheekpiece this way and that I did need to add a 20mm block above all the adjustment gear to get the cheek rest higher with the advantage that all the adjustment bits are easily found and adjusted now. Also added the Rowan single adjustable hamster post and made my own hamster foot to fit. It's spot on now for my FT needs and shoots as good as or better than my CRX or MPR. I get around 65/70 shots per fill.

You may well need to fiddle with the cheek rest to get the perfect position but once found it's a really good rifle.

Hope this helps,

Dajo.

no avatar
Dajo

Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:21 pm

Sorry,

Should add that the trigger is also very adjustable and after a little more fiddling decided I didn't like the trigger "button" so took that off and put five various sized "O" rings on the trigger post and am really happy with it now.

Dajo.

no avatar
milek

Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:32 pm

Dajo wrote:Sorry,

Should add that the trigger is also very adjustable and after a little more fiddling decided I didn't like the trigger "button" so took that off and put five various sized "O" rings on the trigger post and am really happy with it now.

Dajo.

That trigger button is something that I just wont ever like so your suggestion for the o rings is appreciated.