De-pinger for S410

no avatar
Outandabout

De-pinger for S410

Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi all
I have seen and read a lot about people fitting de-pingers to their guns. My questions are, what are the benifits or pitfalls of fitting a de-pinger, what does it achieve, is it worth doing.
Thanks
Kevin

no avatar
simonsays

Re: De-pinger for S410

Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:26 pm

I guess you have a gun which doesn't ping - in which case you can leave well alone. Some do make a pinging noise on and after firing and this noise can be irritating to some shooters. The ringing you can hear is said to be coming from the air reservoir and is due to the disturbances caused by firing but there is some debate as I understand it.

A depinger is said to split the air reservoir volume and reduce the noise (probably changing the frequency at which it happens).

Both my S400s have this to some extent but not to the extent I need to do anything. In one the noise coincidentally went when I changed the hammer spring (for other reasons) which kind of suggests it aint the reservoir or at least only that. The other rifle I havent touched.

There are a couple of options to deping. Buy a depinger which is an insert that goes into the midldle of the tube tube (ask Julian). The only disadvantage (apart from having to buy something and stripping the the rifle to fit it) is a very small loss in reservoir volume which you'll probably not notice. There are cheap diy options that are said do the same thing with less loss of volume at lower cost. Its all on the web and Google is your friend!