S510 thumbhole

no avatar
Falconhoof

S510 thumbhole

Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:33 pm

Looked at one of these in the range's shop today and I kind of like it. Different stock to anything else out there but how much of an improvement are they over a 410? I've read somewhere that it's an improved barrel such as on the MPR but aside from it been shrouded thats about as far as I know.
Quite a bit of money to shell out for something that will never be justifiably used enough but I'm missing my S400f terribly and if you cant spoil yourself for Christmas once you've hit middle age then there's something wrong :lol:

Anyone own one or had a one?
Cheers chaps in advance.

no avatar
zippy

Re: S510 thumbhole

Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:39 pm

Falconhoof wrote:Looked at one of these in the range's shop today and I kind of like it. Different stock to anything else out there but how much of an improvement are they over a 410? I've read somewhere that it's an improved barrel such as on the MPR but aside from it been shrouded thats about as far as I know.
Quite a bit of money to shell out for something that will never be justifiably used enough but I'm missing my S400f terribly and if you cant spoil yourself for Christmas once you've hit middle age then there's something wrong :lol:

Anyone own one or had a one?
Cheers chaps in advance.

Go-on, buy it mate, get yourself out in the Autumn air, Its lush the smell of the woods this time of year. treat yourself... life's short... :D
Christmas is the perfect excuse,,, Oil the stock and have fun zeroing her in, great stuff... ;)
Air Arms tx200hc, mtc taipan, 4-16X50
Air Arms tx200hc, falcon menace, 4-14x44 FFP
Air Arms Pro-sport, mtc mamber
Air Arms TDR, falcon menace 10x44
HW 100t falcon menace 4-14X44 FFP
HW 100t richer optics
HW 97KT
HW 45 Geordie custom grips
Alecto

no avatar
Falconhoof

Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:25 pm

zippy wrote:Go-on, buy it mate, get yourself out in the Autumn air, Its lush the smell of the woods this time of year. treat yourself... life's short... :D
Christmas is the perfect excuse,,, Oil the stock and have fun zeroing her in, great stuff... ;)
[/quote]

I feel like I've just walked into Bob Dunkleys shop :D
I dont need encouraging, I need advice on what to buy. I've my AR20ft that I'll use for the odd comp I enter but this will be my make me smile like a Cheshire cat rifle. Dont need it, dont have to own it but I can, simply because I've worked hard all my life, my kids are nearly all left the nest and I can spoil myself for a change.

In all seriousness, since I've used the AR20ft I much prefer a rifle with the target style pistol grip so I can tuck my trigger elbow in when shooting, a thumbhole sets me up this way aswell. It seems expensive though and I think I'm missing out on the reason why, as I cant seem to justify why its that price?

no avatar
billywhizz

Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:44 pm

I bought a 510 about 9 months ago , its the best rifle ive owned so far ,I had springers and pcps ,latterly I had a 410 f ,loved it to bits and a s200 ,both were really good ,but the 510 is so smooth and returns great chrono figures very constant ,its a joy to cycle,i target shoot a lot and it does that very well,for shooting slr I can cycle it without letting go of it its so smooth to use.ive got a standard beech stock on it but have stripped it and stained it emerald green and then lauqered it ,looks great. see if you can try one first ,then you will be sold on it ,ha ha.

no avatar
Falconhoof

Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:35 am

Anyone else had one of these?? I'm still curious about what barrel they have!

no avatar
32:1

Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:51 pm

Ive had my 510 for 5 years

Its a keeper
If it aint broke, fix it till it is

no avatar
Falconhoof

Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:59 pm

How much do these generally go for second hand?
Got my eye on one ;)

no avatar
32:1

Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:10 am

Awesome bit of kit, I have an early one which Ive owned for 6 years and its as sweet today as it was back then, had tens of thousands of pellets through it, not one jam or missfeed ( wish I could say the same for my r10). This summer I stripped it down and serviced it with no worries, they are just that bit better than the 410, its got to be the cocking as i side they look the same, but mine did give a better chrono reading than my 410 being flatter curve, Ive just regged my other AA's and now plan to reg a 510, esspecially as Ive just swapped my rapid for a THs510 and I agree the TH stock is super nice

Go on buy it, you know it makes sense

Chris
If it aint broke, fix it till it is

no avatar
kbcesq315

Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:18 am

I have the S510 thumb hole carbine .22 cal and it is a great shooter. Accurate and smooth operation. I brought the trigger back and refinished the stock to aoil finish to bring out the grain of the beautiful walnut stock.

no avatar
Falconhoof

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:56 am

Went ahead and bought the 510 thumbhole that I really shouldnt have as our lass was far from impressed but I'm glad I did.
I've only had a quick go at the range over 30yards in windy conditions but first impressions are very impressive. Seems very accurate,has a silencer on the shroud so extremley quiet, lovely to use standing and very smooth cycling and loading.
It says on the action that its a SL but the stock looks walnut? can anyone give some advice as to what it is??

I'm looking to shoot a springer in hft this year and this has wiped my budget out so it looks like a couple of others will have to go the journey now :(