.177 S510 Carbine + Q-Tec moderator = luck of the draw?

no avatar
Cayin

.177 S510 Carbine + Q-Tec moderator = luck of the draw?

Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:24 pm

I recently upgraded from a TX585 to a .177 Q-Tec, and i have to say its not been without some bumps in the road.
My point of impact at 30 yards is all over the place, so its safe to say its clipping pellets.
I've tried 5 different Q-Tec's, and they are all clipping, some more than others.
So there seems to be a problem with my rifle too, and taking off the shroud i got a disappointing suprise....

This piece of aluminium with o-rings in the two grooves is whats supposed to keep the shroud centered on the barrel.
Why is this a problem? Well it would be fine IF this part matched the shroud and the barrel, it does not.
id of shroud is about 16mm
od of aluminium insert is about 15.85mm (so its up to the o-rings to keep things centered, not good)
id of aluminium insert and od of barrel has 5 to 6/100 mm of gap too (not that bad, but i would try to make it a 2/100mm gap)
Im using a digital vernier caliper, so some of the measurements might be a bit off, but good enough to get a general idea of what i think is the problem.
If this isnt the problem, it means the threaded insert for the moderator is the culprit (crossing fingers its not)
I will make a new part "without" gaps to see if it fixes the problem, to be continued :D

no avatar
Cayin

Re: .177 S510 Carbine + Q-Tec moderator = luck of the draw?

Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:17 pm

Made this part at work today, didnt have time to make slots for venting.
Snug fit, felt really optimistic, but no.... not the problem i guess.
The good news is im getting help to resolve the problem now, so thumbs up to Air Arms.
Will post results in a week or two.

no avatar
mrgbb

Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:28 pm

I had similar problems with .177 and .22 Qtecs being all over show on S410s. Went back to the old air arms silencers and were fine

no avatar
Cayin

Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:29 pm

Got bored waiting for my new q-tec, so i made this 6.5mm choke for my TX585.
Yeah, now im clipping pellets with this one too (pause for foul language...), the problem has to be my shroud.