Air guns, shot guns, fac air, and rimfire
9%
Air guns, shot guns, fac air. rimfires, and center fire
6%

Total votes: 47
Blackbaronfish

What do you shoot

Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:01 am

What are you into at the minute. They say there's more and more taking up shooting fac .

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
gordon

Re: What do you shoot

Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:24 pm

SUBS for me in .177 .early days, but looking good for the subs :) today I am shooting mainly indoor or outdoor Benchrest, plinking range out to 60yds and a bit of c02 pistol at 10m outdoor.
Professional Ferret Juggler

no avatar
Midasi1

Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:05 pm

Subs PCP and springer as an alternative.
Why be awkward, when with a bit of effort you can be really impossible!

Katzenjammer

Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:22 pm

Ticked Air guns, shot guns, fac air, and rimfire. I don't shoot FAC air. No point when .22 rimfire has ammo options to cover from very low velocity to high velocity. All the .22 rimfire ammo has more punch and knockdown capability anyway. Considering centrefire urged on by my (tor)mentor. Need long range knockdown capability on the wide open spaces of our permission.

The official figures show an increase in take up on live firearms.
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007

Blackbaronfish

Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:39 pm

Katzenjammer wrote:Ticked Air guns, shot guns, fac air, and rimfire. I don't shoot FAC air. No point when .22 rimfire has ammo options to cover from very low velocity to high velocity. All the .22 rimfire ammo has more punch and knockdown capability anyway. Considering centrefire urged on by my (tor)mentor. Need long range knockdown capability on the wide open spaces of our permission.

The official figures show an increase in take up on live firearms.

fAC air is great for tree rats near houses and also live stock 8-)

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Pat g

Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:06 pm

I also use sub 12ft lb air, 22 lr 17hmr, 243 c/f and Shotguns. I also have no need for fAC air. I use low velocity 22 rimfire which are around 45ft lb with a 25gr bullet (over half that of a standard sub sonic round) this covers my every need. Added to the fact that the are much less affected by the wind than an airgun pellet either at sub 12 ft lb or at FAC levels.
I have actually just picked up yet another permission where the land borders a nature reserve and public footpaths and although some parts of the farm i will be able to use rimfire either 22lr or 17hmr some areas i will not so sub 12 ft lb will be the tool. Again though where i consider the range to be a little stretched for the sub 12 i will be able to use low velocity 22lr in conjunction with a natural backstop.
Again its about having the right tools at your disposal.
Interesting poll by the way ;)
ATB,
Pat
Ceaser Guerini Magnus Sporter 12g
Beretta Urika 2 12g Auto
243 howa 1500, 3-12x50 Zeiss, Wildcat mod
Sako Finfire 22lr
CZ 452 Varmint 17HMR
AA S410 carbine 177
HW 77k SFS stage 2 177

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:41 pm

sub 12ft lb very rarely nowadays, its mainly .22 rimfire :)
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

darran77

Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:36 pm

Pat g wrote:I also use sub 12ft lb air, 22 lr 17hmr, 243 c/f and Shotguns. I also have no need for fAC air. I use low velocity 22 rimfire which are around 45ft lb with a 25gr bullet (over half that of a standard sub sonic round) this covers my every need. Added to the fact that the are much less affected by the wind than an airgun pellet either at sub 12 ft lb or at FAC levels.
I have actually just picked up yet another permission where the land borders a nature reserve and public footpaths and although some parts of the farm i will be able to use rimfire either 22lr or 17hmr some areas i will not so sub 12 ft lb will be the tool. Again though where i consider the range to be a little stretched for the sub 12 i will be able to use low velocity 22lr in conjunction with a natural backstop.
Again its about having the right tools at your disposal.
Interesting poll by the way ;)
ATB,
Pat

Very intresting to read about the 22lr with low velocity rounds, i am looking into FAC air but reading what you use i am now thinking that 22lr may be the way to go.
Would an FAC cert be restricted to low velocity rounds if that was on the application or is it open to any amunition suitable to the gun ?
daz
IFAC member

Blackbaronfish

Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:04 am

Very intresting to read about the 22lr with low velocity rounds, i am looking into FAC air but reading what you use i am now thinking that 22lr may be the way to go.
Would an FAC cert be restricted to low velocity rounds if that was on the application or is it open to any amunition suitable to the gun ?
daz[/quote]

Any ammunition suitable to the gun but must state if using expanding.

BBF

Katzenjammer

Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:20 am

The land you shoot over must be cleared for the calibre of course. I have seen the very low velocity rounds used safely on rats in an open yard from an old BSA with open sights. Perhaps a tad ott for the old scaly tail but effective. The .22 rimmie is so versatile in the right conditions. The key is expanding ammo (hollow point etc) for as bbf has pointed to but there are some makes with hollow points that also segment and split into three bits. Don't discount the .17 hmr either. The ballistic tipped bullets collapse on impact with devastating results.
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007