Turret adjustments instead of holdover

no avatar
devonhunter

Turret adjustments instead of holdover

Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:31 pm

Anyone understand how to use the turrets to holdover? I just got a new MTC viper and am interested UK use them but don't have a clue where to start.
Any help appreciated ! :D
AA S410 .22 LH walnut stock MTC viper 10x44 harris 1A2-H bipod

no avatar
gary martin

Re: Turret adjustments instead of holdover

Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:45 pm

you have your rifle scope zeroed at a given distance. ie 30 yards. you need to know the distance of your target ie 50yards. having calculated how many clicks you require for the new zero dial in.

use chairgun, balistic calculator. you require to select your ammo from its database, muzzle velocity, distance centre to centre between bore and scope, your original zero. it will work it out for you, print a chart off, away you go to the practice range to see if all tallys up, if so off you go.
Gary.

moulindu

Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi Devonhunter
Try Strelok+, its a paid app, can be used for different mag, shooting angle. It has lots of reticle option to choose from & it has target options as rat,crow, piegon etc. Firstly you need to put the zero data, then according to your filed use you can feed the onfield data for hunting/shooting. If you can feed the correct data the app will give accurate poa.
Regards Moulindu

no avatar
devonhunter

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:03 am

Thanks chaps
AA S410 .22 LH walnut stock MTC viper 10x44 harris 1A2-H bipod

no avatar
orik

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:32 am

Best way is to set out paper targets every 5 yards to cover the range you shoot over. Then zero your scope at 25 yards (or whatever suits you) and if you have resettable turrets set the top turret to zero. Then all you have to do is shoot at the rest of the targets one at a time adjusting top turret until pellet strikes where you've aimed. Then make a note of distance and turret mark e.g 35 yards/1.5 (or whatever it says). Once all distances have been done you either make a range card with all the turret readings/distances or mark the turret with distances. The reason I chose 25 yards is that all other distances should fall below this zero so you need to turn the top turret in one direction only - up. Only negative to turret dialing is you can make the mistake of turning the turret in wrong direction to the zero mark which will. be one turn out which means when you come to dialing in next time you'll miss.
Mk2 TX 200 Tony Leech 22mm internals
MK3 TX200 Modified 22mm internals

moulindu

Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:52 am

orik wrote:Best way is to set out paper targets every 5 yards to cover the range you shoot over. Then zero your scope at 25 yards (or whatever suits you) and if you have resettable turrets set the top turret to zero. Then all you have to do is shoot at the rest of the targets one at a time adjusting top turret until pellet strikes where you've aimed. Then make a note of distance and turret mark e.g 35 yards/1.5 (or whatever it says). Once all distances have been done you either make a range card with all the turret readings/distances or mark the turret with distances.

Agreed. But what if the field shooting angle is not as that of test range (i know there will be minimal change in poi) & the major turnoff wind....which is the major reason for a spoiled shot (according to me).

orik wrote:The reason I chose 25 yards is that all other distances should fall below this zero so you need to turn the top turret in one direction only - up. Only negative to turret dialing is you can make the mistake of turning the turret in wrong direction to the zero mark which will. be one turn out which means when you come to dialing in next time you'll miss.

I followed this tactics till i was bitten by the bug named long range shooting, as then dialling the turret or holdover is too much to compensate for the pellet drop. I choose a zero where i have to make little holdunders for shots above my scope's line of sight & do turret dialling for longer ranges.
Regards Moulindu