S200 regulated.

no avatar
tenpercent

S200 regulated.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:39 pm

I'm seeking help (again :oops: ) with some basic stuff. I'm thinking, from what I've read, that it seems a very desirable thing to be using a rifle that's regulated. So, I'm toying with the idea of getting my S210 done. I wonder if anybody has any advice re. whether it's worth doing and why, any particular regulator to buy, any company you'd recommend to do it, or is it an easy DIY project, etc.

Dan

Re: S200 regulated.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:23 pm

I have a HUMA Regulated s200 I brought it from XTX Air I get about 60 shots instead of 30 I think it's worth while ,raj helped me fit mine ,but if you have a basic knowledge of airguns you should be able to do it yourself (there is a xtx YouTube channel that shows you how )
Air Arms s200 MK2 HUMA Regulated, MTC MAMBA

no avatar
tenpercent

Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:14 pm

Hi Dan. In fact it was noticing your reference to your moderator at the foot of your posts that alerted me to the fact that an S200 COULD be regulated. As a result, I visited the website you refer to. He seems a right sort of bloke who knows his stuff. But it's not exactly dirt cheap- to get it done professionally anyway. I was wondering if there might be other makes worth considering (not necessarily cheaper ones). I also wondered if any members had had particularly good experiences of having it done by somebody or other, maybe somebody like Bowker for instance. I also wonder why it doesn't seem to be much talked about (from what I've seen anyway). I'd have thought that anything that affects your accuracy as much as I presume variation of power does would be a priority for airgunners, and manufacturers too for that matter. So, I'm wondering if it really IS the big deal I'd have thought it would be. For all I know it might be hardly worth getting anal about. Need to do a bit of research in order to try to better understand how pcps work, I guess.

no avatar
1963malc

Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:26 am

I had a Tweaky Reg put in my lad's S200 some years ago. It wasn't cheap but it totally transformed the gun in terms of shot count and accuracy because there was little if any power curve. It makes a light gun very accurate but doesn't keep its value when you sell it. If you're going to keep it, do it. If not, sell it and buy an S400 with a better shot count.

no avatar
tenpercent

Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:06 pm

Thanks, Scrane. It's not the shot count that bothers me really, it's the thought that I can't be sure when I'm missing because of my lack of ability or because the power has dropped off. It doesn't have a gauge on it, so I can't check power level. I'm thinking about getting XTX (or somebody else??) to fit a regulator and a gauge.

Pav

Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:18 pm

If it's any help at all, Darrin at XTX Air fitted my S510 with a Huma regulator about 15 months ago and I couldn't be happier. I've been repeatedly told I have reduced the re-sale value of the rifle, but then I have no intention of selling the rifle. The only downside of fitting the Huma unit, is that my pressure gauge shows the working pressure of the regulator and not the amount of pressure in the cylinder. There are other tuners who fit the Tench regulator, which I understand does show the pressure remaining in the cylinder.

Pre regulation I used to get 100 shots from a 190-100bar fill (although I used to shoot 170-110bar), with no drop in POI. Since it's been regulated I get 136 shots before POI starts to drop. What really impressed me tho, was the consistency. 115 shots @ 11.0fpe +/- 0.2fpe. :shock: :shock: The real question is, would I regulate another Air Arms rifle, oh yeah in a heartbeat.

Hope this is of some help.
ATB
Pav
S510 177 Walnut Hawke Eclipse 4-16x50 IR AO
TX200HC 22 CS500 Hawke 3-12x50 IR AO
TX200HC 177 CS700 Falcon 4-14x44FFP IR
TX200 177 Walnut 4-16x44 TargetMaster
HW98 177 Nikko Stirling Targetmaster 4-16x44
HW77 22 Beach 3-12x50 AO Mountmaster
BASC Member

no avatar
tenpercent

Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:13 pm

Thanks, Pav, that's very helpful indeed. I'm beginning to wonder- rookie that I am- if it would be worth my while after all. I'm reassured by your pre-regulation POI consistency; I had visions of POI falling away steadily after the first few shots (!!) I guess that explains why not everybody agonizes over being regulated (including, apparently, AirArms). The consistency aspect is particularly interesting. However, my shooting being what it is, variation in power might be insignificant alongside the inconsistency of my aim . But you've told me what I needed to know. I'll get a chrono right away. Food for thought. If there are any interesting developments I'll post them.

Thanks, and good shooting.

Timmytree

Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:56 am

I've thought about regulating my S200 but decided firmly against it because it's purely a hunting rifle. I don't need 60 or 70 shots.
A reg will take up valuable air space, you then have to fill the tube to a much higher pressure to compensate. Filling to 200 bar takes a lot more air than 155 bar. Less fills out of your bottle or a lot of extra work with a pump.
There is no excuse for worrying about running low on air, do a full shot string and work out the sweet spot, count the number of shots in that sweet spot, then fill the rifle and put that number of pellets in a container. I believe you have a multishot? The AA version has 10 shots per mag, 3 mags fit in an AA Field tin quite nicely with enough room for another 15 loose pellets. I fill to 155/160 bar, shoot 5 to check zero and know that I then have 35 good shots and another 5 that are just starting to drop a few fps but still plenty good enough for 40 yard rabbits.
If you want a regulated rifle for target shooting or plinking it's a different proposition, then I would be looking at something with a much bigger shot count to start with.

Blackbaronfish

Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:27 am

I have regulated and un regulated rifles. As a way of using the un regulated to its maximum i also have 4 x 10 shot magazines that when empty i need to get more air. Its a .22 410 extra and i have yet to shoot 40 rabbits in the field :mrgreen:

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
tenpercent

Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:50 am

Thanks, Timmytree, that completes the picture, though I'd appreciate clarification of a couple of things:

"work out the sweet spot" How do I recognise the start/finish of this? (Yes, that's how rooky I am!) Am I right that it's when I start to get on-target, consistent grouping?

"count the number of shots in that sweet spot...(I understand that)...."then refill the rifle" Having no gauge on the rifle, how do I know what pressure to fill to? I presume that my S200 needn't be 155-160 because yours is. Do I have to keep the rifle attached to the cylinder throughout in order to use its gauge? If not, am I right in thinking that I have to repeat the exercise again and again, reducing the starting pressure each time until I find the starting pressure very close to that at which the sweet spot begins. I fear that I'm missing some glaringly obvious point here- the older I get the more often this happens.

One final question, if I may: What would you recommend as means of keeping the rifle steady throughout this exercise? Sandbags, secured bipod, or clamped in the workmate?