Scottish Air Gun Licence Stage 3 - D Day

no avatar
kevingambrell

Re: Scottish Air Gun Licence Stage 3 - D Day

Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:35 pm

I would have thought grandfather rights would be a reasonable idea but then when has the goveernment ever been reasonable about firearms?
After the last FAC changes in the UK I ended up letting 17 hand guns go for a small fraction of what I paid for them.
I dont relish giving up the air rifles I own if the laws change in the UK. So I am faced possibly with just one more cost for my hobby.
I hope we dont take on the air rifle licence here in England.

Sake-san

Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:06 pm

Well, at the risk of upsetting rather a lot (one imagines!) of UK air gun owners...
When I was in my very early teen years (let's be generous and say 40 years ago :mrgreen: ) it was obvious that a lot of kids had a number of air rifles / pistols purchased for them by doting parents but, had no where to safely use them, nor indeed any tuition about their safe use. The ramifications were on occasion as you would perhaps expect!.
Whilst I fully appreciate the potentials resources / costs etc to license, could it possibly be a good thing to ensure the longevity of our sport/s if certain measures were taken to ensure safe use?.

Ps I shall be off line now for about 6 months :shock:
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun

Blackbaronfish

Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:12 pm

It may well get rid of a lot of air guns but the crime figures are low :o .Now what do you think will happen to the airguns out there that belong to persons not willing to have a licience :shock:

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

Sake-san

Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:19 pm

Indeed the observed, reported, confirmed crime figures are low (shall not say more on an open forum) but, has the behaviour of kids with air guns changed so much over time?

Timmytree

Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:23 pm

Sake-san wrote:Well, at the risk of upsetting rather a lot (one imagines!) of UK air gun owners...
When I was in my very early teen years (let's be generous and say 40 years ago :mrgreen: ) it was obvious that a lot of kids had a number of air rifles / pistols purchased for them by doting parents but, had no where to safely use them, nor indeed any tuition about their safe use. The ramifications were on occasion as you would perhaps expect!.
Whilst I fully appreciate the potentials resources / costs etc to license, could it possibly be a good thing to ensure the longevity of our sport/s if certain measures were taken to ensure safe use?.

Ps I shall be off line now for about 6 months :shock:

I agree with you. Maybe that is part of the problem now because it's harder than ever to find somewhere to shoot and many parents think "its just an airgun." How many times have we read on forums "I've bought an air rifle, where can I shoot it?" or similar stories. Why buy a gun without somewhere to go?
Personally I think all new buyers should at least be a member of a club and prove some knowledge of the law before buying.
However, that won't affect the millions of rifles already in circulation and already in unsafe hands.
Licencing isn't the answer, much tougher sentencing is the correct way forward so only the criminals and idiots get busted without affecting the innocent and law abiding who make up the majority.

Sake-san

Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:33 pm

Indeed Tim, that was my point, cannot change history and its consequences but, we could secure a better future. Frankly if the industry / owners do not do something then the end is just about when and not if :o

Timmytree

Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:39 pm

What do you think the % of licensed air rifles will be in Scotland in 2 years time, maybe 5% or less?

Sake-san

Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:44 pm

I have absolutely no idea :shock: my point was simply to say that I cannot see the current legislation (or lack of) having any longevity in the world which we live in.
So for me better to have going forward some kind of rule / test / hurdle than to allow a continuem of the status quo, that way (at least in theory 8-) ) we can continue to practise and enjoy our sport/s.

no avatar
Saltire

Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:49 pm

I have no problem about paying the licence in order to promote and maintain my sport of HFT and FT in Scotland. I just hope that it does not deter people from the sport. :D

I don't really understand how the licence will reduce the issue of the minority who use air weapons for irresponsible activities. Surely the best way to deal with them would have been to make i.e. mandatory 10 years imprisonment for anyone using an air weapon irrisponsibly :?:

Apparently there is approximately 0.5 million Air weapons in Scotland :?: :?: How on earth can they police them? I know that my local RFD records all Air weapons in a register when they leave the shop.
Last edited by Saltire on Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Air Arms FTP-900, BASC

Sake-san

Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:54 pm

I shall continue to sleep close to Monsieur Gunn & Moore, two broken jaw bones, several fractured ribs and most definitely no more babies, just please don't try to license it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cricket me lud, never heard of it :mrgreen: