Posting Airguns

no avatar
daverobson

Posting Airguns

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:03 pm

Could the forum experts help me out here?

I would like to send my S200 to Darrin at XTX for some major surgery but I'm a little dubious about who to use for sending it through the post.

Who are the recommended carriers to send it by?

Thanks,

Dave.
Last edited by daverobson on Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Air Arms TX200 HC .177
Air Arms S200 Mk3 .177

raygun

Re: Posting Airguns

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:13 pm

As far as I am aware there is only RMSD (if it fits their size criteria) or Parcel Force 48hr.

There currently seems to be some doubt about just how much you can insure for with £100 being spoke of as the maximum.

ATB
Ray.

no avatar
daverobson

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:24 pm

Thanks raygun,

I've just found this on the Parcel Force website:

"Arms and Ammunition - Low-powered air weapons (air rifles, air guns and air pistols), together with lead pellets and other airgun and airsoft projectiles, can be sent but are subject to the following conditions:"

1 These items must be sent on an express48 service only
2 These items must be sent via the Post Office only
3 Enhanced compensation cover is not available

I'm a bit concerned about the sound of condition 3
Air Arms TX200 HC .177
Air Arms S200 Mk3 .177

raygun

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:29 pm

Is there a possibility that Darrin (XTX) could just have the action sent to him ?

That way you could use RMSD and get higher insurance cover. Without the stock the action should fit inside the RMSD criteria.

ATB
Ray.

no avatar
daverobson

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:33 pm

This is the Royal Mail version:

"Guns intended for sporting purposes - including Section 1 (e.g. hunting rifles) and Section 2 (e.g. shotguns) firearms, low-powered air weapons and their component parts - may be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to domestic controls on the possession of firearms. Antiques, deactivated and imitation firearms are also permitted. When sending deactivated firearms include proof of deactivation".

"You are responsible for checking whether or not an item is prohibited or restricted. If you send prohibited goods or restricted goods (and you do not comply with the relevant terms and conditions), we may deal with your items as we see fit, including but not limited to, disposing of the parcels concerned (in whole or in part)".

Neither Parcel Force or Royal Mail fill me with much confidence, I'll be better off spending £100 on petrol & delivering it myself.
Air Arms TX200 HC .177
Air Arms S200 Mk3 .177

no avatar
daverobson

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:38 pm

raygun wrote:Is there a possibility that Darrin (XTX) could just have the action sent to him ?

That way you could use RMSD and get higher insurance cover. Without the stock the action should fit inside the RMSD criteria.

ATB
Ray.

That's a possibility Ray but I'm just a little concerned about having to include the cylinder.
Some services might get a little alarmed at the thought of a "compressed air cylinder" even if it is empty.
Knowing my luck it would go through an x-ray machine somewhere & get binned as a prohibited item.
Air Arms TX200 HC .177
Air Arms S200 Mk3 .177

raygun

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:42 pm

Yes, that's a concern.

RMSD could possibly go by air and could be checked. PF48 goes by road.

ATB
Ray.

no avatar
daverobson

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:50 pm

I've just read this on Darrin's website.

" It has come to my attention that Royal Mail and Parcel Force have decided to prohibit any pressurised vessels, even if they are empty and have their valves removed. This means buddy bottles, the air cylinders on rifles, even rifles with one piece actions that have an inbuilt air cylinder are prohibited. It is a senseless rule, especially if the cylinders/bottles are empty and have the valve removed. If you send me your rifle (or parts) and it gets sent for inspection and subsequently gets destroyed by RM/PF I will not be held responsible. I use TNT to return rifles that have air cylinders or buddy bottles fitted".
Air Arms TX200 HC .177
Air Arms S200 Mk3 .177