HFT500 stock

no avatar
Archer50

HFT500 stock

Wed May 23, 2018 8:15 am

Has anyone tried a Custom Stocks CS800 stock on an HFT500? What was it like, in particular is there enough weight in the butt to balance the heavy barrel and air cylinder?

I have struggled for over a year to come to terms with the standard stock, but I still find it clumsy and the grip and trigger distance seem to be designed for someone with fingers like ET. At the moment it's in an S400 stock, and I'm thinking it might just stay there.

Alan

no avatar
Roger5

Re: HFT500 stock

Wed May 23, 2018 12:24 pm

Archer50 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:15 am
Has anyone tried a Custom Stocks CS800 stock on an HFT500? What was it like, in particular is there enough weight in the butt to balance the heavy barrel and air cylinder?

I have struggled for over a year to come to terms with the standard stock, but I still find it clumsy and the grip and trigger distance seem to be designed for someone with fingers like ET. At the moment it's in an S400 stock, and I'm thinking it might just stay there.

Alan
Hi Alan, I'm pretty much into your way of thinking about the stock, the old MPR FT stocks feel better to me, not much difference in overall length either, there was a weight difference MPR 8.8lbs HFT 8.2lbs, barrels on both 19.25, MPR stocks pretty hard to come by, but as you say the standard stock ain't bad, and with adjustable cheekpiece even better.Rog

no avatar
Archer50

Wed May 23, 2018 3:32 pm

Hi Roger

I've tried the Aeron stock, but found that I couldn't make that a comfortable fit whatever I did to it. There was lots of longitudinal adjustment but absolutely nothing twists, or goes sideways and the only part of my face that touched the stock when I looked through my scope was my chin!. I have also tried a custom laminate stock from Tommy Bennett. It is an excellent stock and superbly made, but it is far too heavy for me - much heavier than the original, and that's weighty enough! I have a CS800 stock on my HW100 and it fits me like a glove (now I've added an adjustable cheek piece). Unfortunately I can't even do a temporary drop-in test with the HFT action as the inletting is so different and I have a feeling that i'd finish up with a very forward-heavy gun. My other thought is a thumbhole S400 stock, but they are silly money new and rare as hen's teeth second hand - unless anyone on here knows different ;)

Alan

no avatar
Bezzer

Wed May 23, 2018 5:24 pm

You must have small hands mine aren't particularly big but I couldn't cope with the button being so close so my finger was wrapping round it and ended up making a longer trigger blade to sort it. , Also replaced the standard 480mm air cylinder with a standard 400mm one off a 400S to lose a bit of front end weight and had to fit 25mm of spacers to the butt pad. I'm seriously considering making it a carbine and regging it like my 400.

no avatar
gary martin

Wed May 23, 2018 5:49 pm

if you feel the rifle unbalanced, you could drill a hole in the rear of the stock behind the butt pad and add weight in to that. Brass etc, put the butt pad back no one would know.

no avatar
Archer50

Wed May 23, 2018 6:34 pm

Bezzer wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 5:24 pm
You must have small hands mine aren't particularly big but I couldn't cope with the button being so close so my finger was wrapping round it and ended up making a longer trigger blade to sort it. , Also replaced the standard 480mm air cylinder with a standard 400mm one off a 400S to lose a bit of front end weight and had to fit 25mm of spacers to the butt pad. I'm seriously considering making it a carbine and regging it like my 400.
XL shooting gloves and I used to be able to span a 12th on the piano :D But I definitely know what you mean about the gun being front heavy.

I don't know how popular the HFT 500 is South of the Border, but although quite a few appeared up here in Scotland soon after it first came out, I am now the only person I know who still shoots one. Much the same for the Ultimate Sporter. I suspect the stock is the killer as no one I've spoken to liked it.

no avatar
Bezzer

Wed May 23, 2018 9:34 pm

They're still pretty common in HFT down here as far as I know. There were at least 5 or 6 at our last shoot, three were on adjoining pegs and we spent waiting times comparing them :mrgreen: None of us had any complaint about the stock apart from the reach, which we'd sorted with different spacers, mine with alloy posts, the other two with the AA plastic spacers.

no avatar
Archer50

Fri May 25, 2018 8:59 am

I've just contacted Custom Stocks and the CS800 stock needs special modification to fit the HFT500. The trigger is set further back than the S400/500 guns and it means changing the profile of the pistol grip. They are happy to do it at no extra charge, but I'll explore a few other options first.