Scratches on my scope

no avatar
Outandabout

Scratches on my scope

Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:44 pm

Hi all
I have just removed my MTC viper scope off my gun and when I have removed the mounts there is some quite heavy scratches under the mounts. As I want to move the mounts, has anybody any idea how i can repair the scratches and get it back to the original colour.
I have messaged MTC to see if they do some sort of repair service but as yet they have not replied.
Hope somebody can help me out.
Cheers
Kevin

Blackbaronfish

Re: Scratches on my scope

Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:55 pm

Not sure if you could touch them up. Most will leave them as they will be covered by the mounts again.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Outandabout

Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:01 pm

If i could get the right type and colour of paint i would attemp it myself, bit i dont know what type of colouring/paint is used on the scope. As i would like to change the position of the mounts it would stand out like a sore thumb if i didnt do something with the marks. I would like to keep it in its original colour.
Kevin

no avatar
billywhizz

Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:10 pm

kevin ,ive used satin matt black spray paint form car parts shops before ,its a very close match ,its about £ 3-4 a ti spray tin. hope this helps.

james79

Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:17 pm

Its surprising what you can hide with a fine permanent marker, it depends how much of a perfectionist you are but worse case scenario even the most permanent of markers come of with a bit of solvent. Might be worth a try even if its just a temporary patch up :)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool

no avatar
Mason

Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:19 pm

What part of the mount has scratched the scope tube?

no avatar
Phil B

Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:31 am

I'd go for the fine permanent marker pen.

no avatar
Outandabout

Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:55 pm

It looks like the tube has been twisted inside the mount causing it to scrape the tube. I got the scope off my nephew with the mounts already on it. He never mentioned any marks when i got it but it must have been done before i got it.
I am going to try the permanent marker and see what happens.
MTC say the scope is not painted/treated. That it is the natural colour when the procees is complete.
Kevin

no avatar
DESERT FOX

Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:34 pm

What about using some carbon wrap to cover them up.
Or have the scope dipped with a new finish