Short night session

no avatar
chrismdd

Short night session

Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:57 pm

I can't stand any more politics on the idiot box so I just had to get out. Fitted the red ultrafire and was out the house by 10:30pm. Walked into the first field and walked quietly halfway up the hedgeline before switching on the ultrafire and having a scan. That's odd no rabbits out, maybe Mr Fox has beaten me to it?

Carried on up to the barn before having another scan to see one jump into the hedge, scanned the field and saw one sat out at about 60 yrds. Torch off crept over counting 30 strides, set up on the sticks, torch on he's still there, squeeze of the trigger and a perfect shot placement drops him perfectly, a nice young buck paced out to 25 yrds..

Walk along the top hedge but each time I switch on the torch I'm greeted by the clatter of woodies leaving their roosts. Then up in the far corner I catch sight of two rabbits in the beam, but both are edgy and heading for safety. So quickly off with the torch and try to get a bit nearer but the woodies are still bursting from the trees. So torch on and only one is still out upright and ready to dive for cover. I reckon he's a bit past 40 yrds so give him a mildot over, squeeze the trigger and he drops like a stone, paced out at 47 yrds and a perfect placement between eye and root of ear.

Now its a bit of a walk with not much to see apart from a few far off fleeing rabbits and a roe deer stood just 30 yrds away.

Into the orchard and out under the trees is bunny number three at 25 yrds, again a nice clean shot and he's in the bag. Now on for a bit more with just a few rabbits seen but too far away.

Cross the road and thought I'd have a look through the hedge to be greeted by about eight rabbits all in range. Problem is everytime I manage to push the S410 through the hawthorn I get too much red light shining back from reflecting off the twigs. Well its now or never so I break a few branches and lean right into the hedge, amazingly most of the rabbits barely move and just sit up so I choose one at about 30 yrds and the fourth shot of the night is a fourth perfect placement as that satisfying thwack just leaves him resting on his chin.

Normally I would still go on wandering for another couple of hours but I decide to stop there with four shots and all cleanly dispatched so happy with that. Back home just before midnight and will try to quietly slip into bed without awakening the missus.

Timmytree

Re: Short night session

Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:45 pm

Well done Chris, have you noticed what beautiful condition the rabbits are this year? Apart from the milky does and battle scarred old bucks most of mine look really healthy, good fur and well padded. Maybe the mild winter agreed with them?

no avatar
granville

Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:49 pm

nice shooting .

no avatar
VEG

Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:19 pm

nice shooting did you make the sticks if so what did you use

no avatar
chrismdd

Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:59 pm

Timmytree wrote:Well done Chris, have you noticed what beautiful condition the rabbits are this year? Apart from the milky does and battle scarred old bucks most of mine look really healthy, good fur and well padded. Maybe the mild winter agreed with them?

Yes the rabbits have been in good fettle, and I'm amazed this year how quickly they sprung back from the autumn mixy we had round here, in fact I reckon that in just a few months they have re-colonised probably due to rabbits coming in from outside the permissions.

Hope you had a good day on the pigeons today, not far from here some anti-social types were using shotguns on them.

VEG wrote:nice shooting did you make the sticks if so what did you use

They are made from two metre length plant climber sticks from B&Q (about a pound each), they are green plastic coated hollow metal poles. Screwed together after drilling with a lock-nut arrangement, top ends covered with bits of bicycle inner tube held on with ty-raps and then covered with a bit of stealth tape. To keep them open to the correct amount and stop them from doing the splits I drill another pair of holes further down and thread a bit of lace from a walking boot through and tie into a loop at the correct maximum opening. They are cheap, sturdy and very lightweight. Also when walking home with braces of rabbits they can be hocked (I prefer tyraping two bunnies together and then carrying them on the sticks.

I also have a smaller pair made from largish diameter doweling for when I am lying prone in ambush.

Chris