Squirrel shooting

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Re: Squirrel shooting

Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:51 am

Oh those were the days, so if anybody is enjoying a walk in the country side and come across trees covered in topic bars it's Steve's fault😂
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

TIMBERDOG

Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:58 am

I have two squirrels feeder boxes and two bird feeder tubes. feeder box right hand side iof tree bird feeder tub agot 1 ft away.
the birds hit the feeder tube within seconds grey squirrels can see that so they come along not just to see if there are any spare feed a catch and kill a small bird.
my shooting area used to have two hen sheds on site so the squirrel used to nip in and out taking hen feed.
sadly the owner removed all his hens as I could bag 8 or 9 grey squirrels just sitting on the bank side under a tree.
I also walk around the farmers fields in the winter months shooting them out of the trees with my grand son .
he has my old S410 now.

no avatar
Outandabout

Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:02 pm

Nifty trick setting up the bird feeders to alert the squirrels there is food about.
Kevin

no avatar
poguemahone

Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 pm

yeah a good idea, i never thought of that, although i fill my squirrel feeders with birdseed for the first week, then switch to whole maize when the squirrels start turning up.
whole maize is 1/3rd of the price of peanuts, and they seem to sit still for longer when they're eating it ;)

TIMBERDOG

Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:39 am

on my shoot they dont get time to sit still as soon as they are on the feeder they will pick up a nut then turn around to face me one shot to the head nice and clean dispatch
if my grandson is with me I let hime take the first shot , as he is now a very good shot .

TIMBERDOG

Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:58 pm

I went to my local feedstore got a 4kg bag of maize £4.49 mixed it 3parts maize 1 part peanuts filled all 4 feeders possible go back saturday to see if they are empty
thanks for the heads up about maize .
might have to take one of my camo nets up there as the trees are bare of leaves apart from the holly trees but the gales have feld a few of them, so my cover is not as good as it was. on a sunny day like today if I can see them they can see me even with camo gear on.
Last edited by TIMBERDOG on Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
poguemahone

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:27 pm

yeah i've been using a camo net since all the leaves fell off the trees ;)
just put a new squirrel feeder on a perm and i can get inside a holly bush, made a gap to shoot through. havent had time to check the feeder yet though.

TIMBERDOG

Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:54 pm

been up the farm this moring to check on the feeders squirrel box feeders empty bird feeders small amount of maize left, one squirrel on the deck but took off as soon as I moved.
went back to the farm picked up my rifle headed back to my shooting area sat there for over 1hr 30 mins not another sign of a squirrel.
the little birds giving the bird feeders some stick and couple of woodpeckers turned up for a feed nice to see

TIMBERDOG

Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:13 pm

end of january and the squirrel shooting has been very poor since the lad that had his hen sheds on site has removed them from the farm.
squirrels used to raid the sheds for free food each day , I have seen 3 or more in the sheds at any one time they get in through a gap in the top of the shed door.
when they used to come out of the shed and sit for a while on the roof then when the shot was taken nice and clead head shot.
the feeders are still in use and are empty when I get the time to go up to the farm so there are still a few around.
with the wet weatherther and ill health I have not ventured out a lot since december.
also after a visit to the farm its a trip to the car wash to get the sheep shite of the tyers as most of the live stock on the farm are sheep and its just a dirt road from the main road down to the farm in the valley .

no avatar
poguemahone

Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:39 pm

went to the new feeder last sunday, it was empty and a bit of chewing damage :x
only saw and shot 1 squirrel, although it was blowing a hoolie in all fairness