Gold Crest

no avatar
Sam the eagle

Gold Crest

Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:21 am

Quick report on a nice morning out at a local permission. Been concentrating on squirrels here. Either shooting over a feeder or stalking. Getting the best results with the latter. Whilst sitting still in full camo I became aware of some tiny birds overhead. Gold Crests nest building. They were unsure of what I was and came close to scrutinise. The male came as close as 6" away from my face giving a wonderful view of its crest and the tiny iridescent feathers that give its name. I sat transfixed for 10 mins or so before they got back to home building. A one squirrel morning but enjoyed the bird spotting more.

Raj

Re: Gold Crest

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:26 am

That is indeed a wonderful feeling .... a testament to your fieldcraft and camo when nature accepts you and species that would normally keep a safe distance come close!

I remember well, a pair of dunnock males fighting fro territory / female close to where I was laying up near a hedge. They got so carried away that they landed on my back the two of them and carried on sparring right there on me. 8-)
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
granville

Re: Gold Crest

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:26 pm

not alot beats watching nature in the wild worth every minute.