Ducks

darran77

Ducks

Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:19 pm

Just had a call from a friend who has been asked to remove some wild mallards that have moved in with some posh ducks, apparently his friend has some fancy ducks and he is woried that the wild drakes will damage his females during the breeding season.
So the area in question is around a lake and the ducks are been fed close to cover so taking them is not hard.
But the question is "can i shoot them at night ??" , i had a quick look and the season ends on the 31st of Jan , so not long to try and remove as many of them as i can, but could not see anything regarding shooting after dark with air rifles and night vision.
daz
IFAC member

no avatar
neil

Re: Ducks

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:50 pm

pretty sure that using any form of night vision to take birds would be classed as using artificial illumination, check up with BASC but i`m sure that's illegal, set up a hide and nail them using normal sights then when it`s too dark gather up any birds and head home to prep them

Blackbaronfish

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:56 pm

Yes you can shoot ducks under the moon light but would be unsporting if using night vision. The general licence is 'general' ,but its also there to help you get special permission if there was a real problem.
Basc could confirm all this for you.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
143granville

Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:29 pm

neil wrote:pretty sure that using any form of night vision to take birds would be classed as using artificial illumination, check up with BASC but i`m sure that's illegal, set up a hide and nail them using normal sights then when it`s too dark gather up any birds and head home to prep them

other than feral pigeons any bird is no no with night vision.

darran77

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:29 pm

Cheers lads, i had a feeling regarding the NV. I have to do a full wreckie of the site as trapping them in a pen may be a better solution, but i have no probs with taking them during the daylight, it just might take longer and the deadline is 4 weeks away.
My biggest thought was a chastising from the "true sporting gun brigade" where taking a game bird in flight is the only way to do it, i had that from a guy a couple of years ago when i shot a pheasant in the head on the ground (i was asked to take out any of the old birds that were feeding on the new season birds feed whilst ratting) and this guy spotted me with it whilst showing the owner the rats i had cleared up, thought his head was going to explode it was that red.
But i digress and once i have the area checked out i will know more, and maybe use a day scope with any artificial light ?.
daz
IFAC member