Back on the rabbits!

Timmytree

Back on the rabbits!

Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:59 pm

I finally got my backside into gear and took a wander up to the farm for a look at the rabbit situation. Middle of the afternoon and there was 3 or 4 running around the orchard, all adults. I decided to have a good walk around first so the first hour was spent looking for signs of rabbit activity, surprisingly there wasn't as much as I expected, whatever hit the rabbits last year and the year before did a good job.
Back to the orchard and the rabbits were still out, these seem to live above ground or in the wreckage of a few old buildings so maybe they have escaped the virus/disease that clobbered the burrow living bunnies. I settled by an old roller parked in a gateway, shooting sticks and Prosport, it was beautiful and warm, hazy sunshine and hardly a breeze. Being low down, sat on the grass I was almost invisible to the first rabbit that appeared, lasered at 39 yards I used the padded sticks to support the PS and gave a tad of holdover, a satisfying thud and bunny rolled over without a kick. The pellet was a pass through and hit the old galvanised sheet of the shed, proof that care needs to be taken with .177!
The second rabbit appeared 15 minutes later at 55 yards, being out of practice I decided not to take the shot but to stalk closer using the cover of apple trees and stinging nettles to close the gap. A fair bit of time on hands and knees reminded me that I'm not as young as I was! Eventually I got to 40 yards but could only see a pair of ears as it was busy feeding. A final crawl got me to 35 yards and I sat up to shoot off the knee. A quick squeak got the bunny sitting up and off went the AADF. Clinical kill, just a shake of a back leg and it was all over.
Both were not in very good condition, older and tough so they got staked out as crow and fox food. Crows will be the next target as they have been pestering the hens, they've got very bold since the last time I was up here.
All in all a nice couple of hours, I think I may have got the hunting bug back again!

no avatar
gary martin

Re: Back on the rabbits!

Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:07 pm

Good to hear Tim. The virus never leaves you, it may lie dormant, but it will come back and make your trigger finger do what it does best. :D

Blackbaronfish

Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:45 pm

What a nice way to spend a few hours. I hope you do get the bug again Tim as it's long overdue :mrgreen:
Many go off their shooting for a while and sell all their kit, which is a shame as they sometimes can't afford to set up again.
It's a good job the pro sports a keeper 8-)
Good luck with your shooting Tim I'm certainly looking forwards to some writeups.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

Timmytree

Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:43 pm

Thanks Gary and Ray.
The PS is never going to be sold on, it's too reliable! I know I could leave it in the wardrobe for 5 years and it would still be spot on from the first shot.
I hope I will get the hunting bug back properly, early days though.

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:38 pm

Glad you have the hunting bug back :D
Ive been out tonight for a spot of lamping I bagged three before a sea mist has rolled in and put an end too the evening shoot but still an enjoyable night out :)
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

Timmytree

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:02 pm

eboswan wrote:Glad you have the hunting bug back :D
Ive been out tonight for a spot of lamping I bagged three before a sea mist has rolled in and put an end too the evening shoot but still an enjoyable night out :)

Early days Brian but I'm feeling good. I've just shone a torch across the field next to me, thick mist and no shining eyes reflecting back.

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:10 pm

A very warm evening despite the mist that rolled in ,by the time I walked up the valley and back too the car I had a proper sweat on(before ray or raj chirps in :mrgreen: it was not through chasing sheep, well not tonight anyway)
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
143granville

Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:10 pm

got out last night only one rabbit and one rat with the photon.
shot one last week best rabbit I have shot for some time .
glad you got the hunting bug back its great getting out .
nice shooting timmy .

no avatar
1963malc

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:09 am

Same here Timmy. More ambushing than hunting though. 2 brave, but foolish rabbits and probably 40 pigeons so far this year in the garden, all after my vegetables. Nice and secure shooting from upstairs windows, surrounded by trees so no chance of losing any pellets from through-shots. My cylinder is getting a bit low on air and ran out of test 3 years ago so I've been rationing it a bit, but I'm still finding it rewarding, and filling. Tasty!
I’ve sold all my air rifle bits to someone who would cherish them as much as I have. And I don’t think I mind.

Raj

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:37 pm

Good to hear, Malc :D
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"