Good night general

darran77

Good night general

Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:06 pm

Whilst at one of my closer perms reducing the rabbits and pigeons i had set up the pop up hide along a connifer line to target some rabbits that were digging up the owners lawn, i say lawn as its 52y wide and almost 140y long and he keeps the grass trimmed with a golf course green mower, so you can imagine what a bunch of scratting bunnys can do. So with me covering one end of the lawn and my chosen areas ranging from 30 yards out to 52y +- a couple of yards i was set up and ready to go.
my chosen tackle was the daystate regal .177 with the MTC connect and my trigger tripod .
I arived early in the evening to take advantage of any woodie that landed within range, but also to get set up before any bunnys ventured out. i was glad i did as 20 mins later the heavens opened up and the wind also, i now know the pop up hide is water resistant, but a future covering of something waxy will be applied. But once the rain ceased i was greeted with my first bunny at 36 yards, it was a straight forward shot and the young un went into bouncy mode before coming to a rest. as it was quiet i recovered the bunny but decided to use its blood soaked carcase as a possible atractant for any nosy corvids, and placed it at 20 yards towards the center of the lawn.
Back in the hide i let things settle down and checked in on my phone taking advantage of the owners free wi-fi well it would be rude not to. but a glance up and there was a magpie coming in to check out the bunny, he settled down and started to see what was on offer whilst i eased the silencer out of the hide through the cammo netting whilst resting the stock on the tripod, no rush with this one and i dropped it with a heart and lung shot, i didnt go for the head as i wanted to use it as a decoy . It rolled over and laid still so it was quickly out again with a bit of Y shaped stick to make a cradle for the new decoy and back into the hide, this must have been a loaner as there was no sounds of chaos from any other birds in the area.
I did have a couple of low fly overs from a couple of hoodied crows but maybe they were put off by something. Still i ended the day with a couple more rabbits, a 50y one near the far side of the lawn and a 32y early pregnant doe which the land owner was very happy with. Also for an added bonus i watched a very relaxed deer wander onto the lawn and help its self to some of the owners greans before disapearing into the thick woodland at the back.
daz
IFAC member

Blackbaronfish

Re: Good night general

Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:34 pm

Sounds like a nice place to be weather shooting or not. I could sit for hours with the binoculars just taking in the scenery.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
143granville

Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:46 pm

sounds good das I have 2 garden perms great as the grass is always short .
nice shooting .

darran77

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:51 pm

Thank you, yes the perm is a realy nice place to go, i am so lucky to have it and the access,
the owner said i can call any time day or night and there are several pest species to go at so i can change tactics
depending what i am targeting.
Next step is to buy some pigeon shells and lure the woodies down, but i will have to study the patterns to find out what works best.
daz
IFAC member

no avatar
143granville

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:24 pm

cradles with real birds work best I find .

no avatar
steveinla

Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:02 pm

Rabbits can really destroy a lawn quickly.