Squirrel feeders.

no avatar
mcmjohnson

Squirrel feeders.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:14 pm

Hi guys, I have seen a number of different designs of feeders for squirrels, but most seem to fall broadly into two categories. Firstly, those with a loose lid that the squirrels push up to reach the feed inside and secondly, those where the bait food is dispensed or drops out of a hole or slot at the bottom of the feeder. Which type in your opinion is best and why. Thanks in anticipation, Mark

Raj

Re: Squirrel feeders.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:22 pm

What are you trying to do? Feed them (i.e. you like them and are trying to provide food) or lure them to shoot?
If it is the latter, then you want whichever feeder makes them stay longer and gives you the best shot angle. :)

Mr. Squirrel Hunter seems to be doing exceedingly well with what looks like a hand made feeder. I love his accent and commentary style ... and his shooting. 8-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CyVb8ki39U
Takes his time, responsible shots and no rush whatsoever.
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
mcmjohnson

Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:01 pm

Yes, trying to lure the Greys in to shoot them. Thanks Mark

no avatar
itmovedhonest

Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:36 am

I use the hole in the bottom type with metal around the hole to stop them biting their way in.
Keep moving them about to find the best spot. Squirrels can be fussy about their free meals.
I find trees away from bushes work. They may fear being ambushed.

I don't bother with a hide. Sitting still with hands and face covered is sufficient.
Have had squirrels walk 10 feet from me whilst sitting under a tree. It's movement which is the give away.

Peanut butter smeared around the feeder can help draw them in.

no avatar
mcmjohnson

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:05 pm

Hi itmovedhonest, thanks for the info, very useful tips. Atb, Mark

no avatar
Mtl_Biker

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:04 pm

I know it's a bit of an older thread, but...

I currently have a feeder with an open feed "trough" that the seeds fall into. Home-built and it works quite well. The problem with it though is the birds. They come to the feeder and seem to grab a seed and toss it on the ground. Below the feeder the ground is literally covered with seeds. I don't know why they do that, but I'm going to make my next one with a hinged flap covering the feed trough. Sort of like some of the ones the Squirrel Hunter occasionally uses. I figure that will keep the birds from messing about (it should at least reduce their activity) but shouldn't limit the squirrels from coming to feed. I've already had to reinforce the edges of the feeder to keep the squirrels (and raccoons!) from gnawing away at it. And I've had to really securely fasten the base to the feeder because there are also raccoons that climb all over the feeder and their weight caused the base to fall off from my revision 1 feeder.

In case you're wondering about the padlock securing the hinged top of the feeder, I used to have a bolt with wing nut that I used. But the darn raccoons managed to spin it open and get in. Now they would need a set of lock picks!

It's an effective feeder though...
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sprorter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (Canadian version < 500 fps)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

Raj