Calling Squirrels.

no avatar
robertt

Calling Squirrels.

Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:29 am

Have been thinning out greys in an area with the hope of creating a vacuum for reds to move into. I think I have about 6 left which are only occasionally using the ambush feeder.
Tried calling yesterday and got one but not convinced that it responded to call or was just passing. Anyone out there calling squirrels??? October is said to be the best month for it.

no avatar
poguemahone

Re: Calling Squirrels.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:57 pm

i used a primos with fair results for about 10 years til i broke it :(
i tried to imitate all the different calls that the supplied cd suggested, but with little, if any success. however i had good success just giving it a couple of basic ''taps'', then scanning the trees for movement, nearly always a tail flicking in response to a couple of barks/taps on the primos. many times i've scanned the trees for 20 mins and seen nowt, then within 2 mins of tapping the caller, tails flicking ;) ;)
i gave up trying to talk to em like some on youtube can, i just want em to give their position away :lol:

no avatar
robertt

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:27 am

Am using an app with a good selection of different squirrel noises. If I get a chance I will nip to a park in Chester which is infested and monitor which noise is the most effective. Might get some brownie points when I tell missus I would like to go there shopping.

no avatar
robertt

Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:25 am

It works! Just one bark

Shame attachment won't work though.