A new toys first outing

james79

A new toys first outing

Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:41 pm

Well I decided to nip in to my local RFD's to do a little "research" today (always dangerous when you have an empty slot on your ticket :o ) and, as so often happens, I got a little carried away the end result of which is that I am now the proud owner of a shiney new cz455 in .22lr flavour fitted with a SAK moderator :D First job was obviously a quick zeroing session at 60 yards with Winchester subs (if anyone has any suggestions as to the best zeroing range for these is I would welcome any reccomendations) which was a relatively painless affair taking about 25 rounds to achieve the desired effect.
With the weather being as agreeable as it was it seemed a shame to then not take my new aquisition out for a bit of a field test as dusk fell. I elected to take a circular route around the fields closest to the farmyard and as I got about half way up the hedge of the second field the cz took it first victim, an adult doe at about 50 yards, a simple shot but satisfying non the less. About half an hour later, just as the light was fading, I noticed two ears sticking up in the grass at the hedge bottom in the third field and with a click of the tongue a two thirds grown kitt was persuaded to make the fatal mistake of raising its head again at about the 50 yard mark. Both shots would have been attainable with the R10 but its always nice to break in a new toy :)

image.jpg
image.jpg (141.09 KiB) Viewed 3873 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (143.8 KiB) Viewed 3873 times

The new toy

image.jpg
image.jpg (27.97 KiB) Viewed 3873 times

The evenings quarry (sorry about the picture quality its a mobile phone job)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool

no avatar
gary martin

Re: A new toys first outing

Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:06 pm

dont be sorry for the quality of photo, its the quality of shot that counts, and by the look of those two, success.

Katzenjammer

Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:20 pm

Looks good, can't beat the SAK for value. What scope you got there James. I got a Hawke dedicated .22 rimfire scope on my brno. Great clarity and does what it says on the tin.
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007

no avatar
granville

Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:42 pm

nice shooting ,looks the part james.
atb paul.

no avatar
Pat g

Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:47 pm

60 yards is a good starting point for zeroing a 22lr when using subs James. I actually tried a box of the new winnie subs today. 42 grains they are and supposed to be improved over the old 40 grain jobbies. quite impressed if i'm honest with their performance. My Sako Finfires staple diet is RWS subs and i would strongly advise that you try some if you can get hold of them. They are probably one of the most accurate 22lr subs available next to Lapua. Some swear by Eley but i've never been that impressed tbh. Try a variety of ammunition to see what your barrel prefers.
I maintain that the 22lr is the best rabbiting tool available and although you say your R10 would have achieved a clean kill at 50 yrads with the 22lr there is much more room for human error than using a sub 12 ft lb air rifle at those ranges. You will find that your new rifle will dispatch your quarry with much more "authority" and that in turn will give you more confidence in your set up and in your ability as a hunter!!! Enjoy!!
ATB,
Pat
Ceaser Guerini Magnus Sporter 12g
Beretta Urika 2 12g Auto
243 howa 1500, 3-12x50 Zeiss, Wildcat mod
Sako Finfire 22lr
CZ 452 Varmint 17HMR
AA S410 carbine 177
HW 77k SFS stage 2 177

james79

Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:02 pm

Pat g wrote:60 yards is a good starting point for zeroing a 22lr when using subs James. I actually tried a box of the new winnie subs today. 42 grains they are and supposed to be improved over the old 40 grain jobbies. quite impressed if i'm honest with their performance. My Sako Finfires staple diet is RWS subs and i would strongly advise that you try some if you can get hold of them. They are probably one of the most accurate 22lr subs available next to Lapua. Some swear by Eley but i've never been that impressed tbh. Try a variety of ammunition to see what your barrel prefers.
I maintain that the 22lr is the best rabbiting tool available and although you say your R10 would have achieved a clean kill at 50 yrads with the 22lr there is much more room for human error than using a sub 12 ft lb air rifle at those ranges. You will find that your new rifle will dispatch your quarry with much more "authority" and that in turn will give you more confidence in your set up and in your ability as a hunter!!! Enjoy!!
ATB,
Pat

Thanks for reassuring me that I've started of by zeroing at a reasonable distance. I've got a couple of boxes of both eley and cci rounds to have a play with but haven't had chance to test anything other than the winchesters yet although mine state that they're 40 grain rather than 42 so maybe it's an older batch. The local RFD stocks the RWS subs so I'll probably give them a whirl as well but I'm not sure about the Lapua.
To be honest if last nights performance was anything to go by I think the cz is very likely to become my go to bunnying tool, more discrete than the hmr (very nearly as quiet as the R10 in fact) but as you say having a lot more "punch" than a sub 12 air rifle.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool

james79

Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:05 pm

Katzenjammer wrote:Looks good, can't beat the SAK for value. What scope you got there James. I got a Hawke dedicated .22 rimfire scope on my brno. Great clarity and does what it says on the tin.

It's a cheapo BSA scope that I got just to tide me over until I have chance to have a swap around of scopes on other guns but I have to say with how clear it is I can honestly see it staying on the cz :)

Katzenjammer

Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:39 pm

If it does the job James then don't change it. It's the right size. No good lugging round huge scopes on your gun. I shoot on 6 mag anyway so my small scope does the job. I used to used 1.5 - 5 x 20 Whitetail classics.

I shot mine yesterday with the mod off using Fiocchi subs and the noise was negligible and the grouping was even better at up to 75 yds. I didn't test beyond that.
ATB
Steve
Member since Autumn 2007