An evening in the field.

Timmytree

An evening in the field.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:04 pm

I haven't done much lately in the way of rabbit control, always seems to be too much else to do but this evening I made up my mind to get out and fire off a few pellets. I took both rifles, the S200 and the Prosport which now has my old Hawke Map pro on it due to problems with the other Mamba lite (sent back.)
I started with a zeroing session in the field by the pond, a big belt of trees gives me a sheltered area that is screened from the prevailing winds. I already had a rough zero done in the garden so it wasn't far out, in fact with a little tweak I was comfortably picking off trebor mints out to 40 yards. The PS with the Hawke is back to pinpoint accuracy that matches or even beats the S200 at longer ranges. I checked the S200 and it was fine but I decided tonight was Prosport night!
I set off for the orchard and field opposite the stables, the field had been cut and baled so I drove the car in and parked looking up the hedgeline, shooting sticks across the dashboard to the passenger seatback, gunbag over that giving a perfect rest for shooting from the car. I sat quiet for about 20 mins before the first rabbit emerged, 44 yards on the LRF, next to no breeze according to the longer stems by the hedge so I aimed on the first dot of the MAP 6 and set a little AA Field on its way. First one in the bag.
10 minutes later another popped out, 62 yards this time, wasn't so sure and held back for a long time just watching and waiting. Eventually I decided to trust the PS, checked on the LRF again, 3 dots was enough and again the AA Field did the job, the rabbit toppled and did a quick hokey cokey with a back leg.
Leaving the field I drove up to the derelict farmhouse which is being renovated, 2 rabbits showed on the new laid lawn so again I unslipped the PS and took another shot, again at 44 yards through the window for bunny number 3.
Not a fantastic night but I'm struggling for enthusiasm lately, maybe I'll be happier when I get some pigeons on the radar!

Raj

Re: An evening in the field.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:32 am

Nice result! Wish I had gone now instead of just thinking about it :)
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"