Old AA owner returning

no avatar
Paulhaul

Old AA owner returning

Fri May 15, 2020 10:03 am

Hi, just wanted to say hello.
I own a TX200 Mk2 which according to Claire at AA was manufactured 30.06.93. I bought it used when it must have been 12-18 months old, of a farmer who had "used" it, so it wasn't pristine and had some scratches on the shooters side.
I wasn't particularly into air rifles at the time, but my ex-wife had horses and we had some vermin issues so I thought I would take action.
This was back in the day of exchange & mart and Loot, no internet, and I saw this at what was a good price so I went for it
I used it only lightly and it's gone through a divorce and a few house moves over the years, but it's still with me.
We've recently had some lock down vermin issues here in Nordolk so I got the gun out, zeroed it in and have been picking off vermin.
However, its sparked a real interest in me and it's a sport I'm going to actively try to get involved in.
The TX is great, a little heavy for me standing, and the mark's on the stock do cheese me off, but at the time of buying, it was a good air rifle at a good price, and that was it.
Little did I know I had got a renowned proven .22 rifle that has stood the test of time.
Now I need to start appreciating it and I'm wondering what I can do with the stock?
Paul

Blackbaronfish

Re: Old AA owner returning

Fri May 15, 2020 3:17 pm

Seems like you were destined to keep the old gIrl. I’m guessing that the stock is oil finished so you could sand down the bad bits and then blend the contours. Re finish with oil again.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Fri May 15, 2020 4:07 pm

Raise any dents with a damp cloth and and a warm iron, but be cautious if it's an oiled stock
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
Paulhaul

Fri May 15, 2020 7:23 pm

Thanks chaps I'll give it a go. However, I think the previous owner tried to cover them up cause it has a feel like varnish?

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Fri May 15, 2020 8:17 pm

If the stock is varnished use nitro mors too remove sand it, raise dinks and then oil, be patient it will take quite a few coats.
S200. .177

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Fri May 15, 2020 8:20 pm

eboswan wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:17 pm
If the stock is varnished use nitro mors too remove sand it, raise dinks and then oil, be patient it will take quite a few coats.
Ps use an old tooth brush too get the stripper into the checkering
S200. .177