HFT results so far

no avatar
Piles

HFT results so far

Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:17 pm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fO9Jx7 ... p=drivesdk

Did some investigation tonight. HFT 500.

Zeroed WITH silencer at 25yds.

I tested AA diabolo, JSB exact, QYS, H&N barracuda.

Best 2 at 25yds we’re JSB and QYS. Pushed out to 50yds. Little wind unfortunately.

Then tried without the silencer. Big difference in poi at 50yds. Guess my gun prefers QYS pellets and the neighbours will have to put up with the bark from the HFT.

Gonna re-zero at 25yds, without silencer and go through the pellets again. Any other suggestions on pellets welcome.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: HFT results so far

Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:54 pm

A moderator with all the innards taken out and the exit hole opened up to 8mm (for .177) will still soak up half of the noise with minimal disruption. Stick a velcro curler inside even better.

no avatar
Archer50

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:49 pm

Piles wrote:
Then tried without the silencer. Big difference in poi at 50yds. Guess my gun prefers QYS pellets and the neighbours will have to put up with the bark from the HFT.
Did the group open up with the moderator or was the POI simply in a different place? A moderator will nearly always change the POI, but shouldn't affect the grouping. In practice, I find that for any given gun I have to make up my mind whether I'm always going to use a mod or never use one, as I just don't find it practical to chop and change.

Alan

no avatar
Piles

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:19 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:
A moderator with all the innards taken out and the exit hole opened up to 8mm (for .177) will still soak up half of the noise with minimal disruption. Stick a velcro curler inside even better.
Thanks Pete, I may give this a go in the future if noise becomes a problem.

What’s a Velcro curler?

no avatar
Piles

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:39 pm

Archer50 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:49 pm
Piles wrote:
Did the group open up with the moderator or was the POI simply in a different place? A moderator will nearly always change the POI, but shouldn't affect the grouping. In practice, I find that for any given gun I have to make up my mind whether I'm always going to use a mod or never use one, as I just don't find it practical to chop and change.

Alan

Bit weird then, cos the JSB exacts grouping didn’t change much but the QYS were considerably tighter without the moderator. I may do a few more tests at 50yds with other pellets now. QYS have produced the best results by far to date.

Both had a change in poi of about 2” lower at 50yds with the moderator on. The sound difference is huge.

I did a shot string over a chrono yesterday using H&N barracuda pellets from 190bar. Got 150! shots albeit about 45 within 1% of max power - decent sweet spot though. The first 50 shots fell way outside the 1.5% threshold. I forgot to measure the final pressure once it dropped off annoyingly.

Even with that in mind all 150 pellets punched a hole no bigger than a 5p piece over 25 yards (and many rushed shots).

The accuracy of this gun is astonishing.

I agree it can be a bit of a faff changing the air-stripper, it’s very tight. I think I’ll keep the moderator off for a while.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:56 pm

Piles wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:19 pm
TenMetrePeter wrote:
Thanks Pete, I may give this a go in the future if noise becomes a problem.

What’s a Velcro curler?
A ladies hair appliance apparently. Poundland do a set of six for ... a quid.

Her indoors says they are called rollers.