Over fill of air

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: Over fill of air

Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:13 pm

Is it possible June is a She?

Anyway as BBF has pointed out a responsible hunter will know his/her rifle inside out, know the chrono rating, and be able to hit a 25mm spot st 25 yards before even thinking about aiming at live animals.

The thought of taking it home without even looking at the gauge or the manual and blast away at 6 rabbits (really??) just saddens me.

no avatar
tonyc

Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:06 pm

The point about responsible hunting is well made... but I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from coming to this forum for help and advice.

As a side issue, it says something about the supply which enables someone to acquire and use a weapon without sufficient understanding of it's capabilities and operation. I can imagine a scenario where a prospective purchaser goes to a dealer, tries a few PCPs on a 10m (or even 25yd) range and is hitting 25mm targets having no previous experience, then leaves with a gun thinking a rabbit at 15yds is an easy target. No understanding of how to set the gun up or of the factors affecting trajectory. Add in the possibility (it has happened to me) that some well-intentioned assistant at the RFD overfills the gun (in my case an S400 to 230bar) thinking they are doing you a favour.

Welcome, June, and please don't be put off from returning.

no avatar
Roger5

Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:34 am

Blackbaronfish wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:07 pm
A chrono is indeed needed as well as a swift kick up of the pants
Why would you carry on shooting at live quarry knowing they were bouncing off... your words speak volume.
I would get to know the ins and outs of the rifle before you go any further.

BBF
Sorry Ray and Brian, didn't mean to offend, just struck me as funny, and of course your right, he/she needs nurturing, but who filled it to that kind of pressure in the first place, maybe the dealer? Rog

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:40 pm

If Air Arms put better markings on the gauge and had a 0-200 bar scale it might help misunderstandings. They could still use the 250 bar mechanism but use a face with a sodding great red line at 200.
They have Air Arms printed on specially, why not go the whole hog like they do with some of the special editions.
I won't write to them again as they ignore all my suggestions.

Its like having a car with a manual that nobody reads saying "FFS don't fill tank up to F only 3/4 )

PS I dont mind offending when it's the difference between humane dispatch and cruelty. The first bounced pellet should have been the last. End of lecture.

Blackbaronfish

Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:04 pm

As I said before let’s move on and help him/she

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
long jon

Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:13 pm

Hi June
Its sometimes hard being new to a sport you do not fully understand. You did the right thing and joined the owners club and sought advice. I was in exactly the same position earlier this year and found the AAOC. I went along to their annual meet up and I can tell you that they are a friendly bunch with loads of knowledge about air guns and AAs in particular. I have taken the opportunity to ask a lot of naive questions and got some great advice.

A warm welcome and do not be put off by any initial lack of knowledge - beyond the banter we are all here to help. After all we were all new to it at one time.
Rgds

Long Jon

no avatar
Roger5

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:43 am

Good on yer, Mr Silver +1 from me. Rog