Lead free

no avatar
gary martin

Lead free

Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:21 pm

Lead free ammo, has anyone go any knowledge through use of these? preferably over a distance of 50m.
thanks in advance.

no avatar
gary martin

Re: Lead free

Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:16 pm

looks as though, just like myself nobody has given them a go. im not in favour of these things just thinking of the day they won't let have them. the bed wetters in government that is.

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:53 pm

When the bodies that represent us shooters just keep giving an inch too the anti's and tree huggers what do we do when we are on our last inch.
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
gary martin

Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:53 pm

eboswan wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:53 pm
When the bodies that represent us shooters just keep giving an inch too the anti's and tree huggers what do we do when we are on our last inch.
it goes without saying, that now he UK has left the EU, that when laws are drafted very quickly, we shall use the European draft as a template. the EU has already stated that the move away from lead is on the way. given that the vast majority of pellets are produced in the EU will have an effect anyway. the shooting bodies are paper tigers. they hold no power or influence, they are a fly that the governments can swat away. the bed wetters will have their way. we are such a minority it matters not what we think of the agenda.

Timmytree

Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:39 pm

I tried various "green" pellets years ago and didn't find anything that would group at more than 15 yards.

no avatar
gary martin

Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:51 pm

Timmytree wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:39 pm
I tried various "green" pellets years ago and didn't find anything that would group at more than 15 yards.
thanks for the info Tim. All he hunting, no pun intended, on the i/net for video seems to confirm your findings. the barrels we use are designed for lead. the alternatives are all of a harder material, which will not help with the grip on the rifling lands, and sealing the bore. if they tried aluminium the result in the rifling would be aluminum oxide which is very hard and would be difficult to remove. they all appear to use tin as a base metal. thanks for your input Tim, always welcome to hear your views.
Gary.

no avatar
Calson

Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:02 pm

I am using H&N Baracuda Green pellets .25 caliber and 19.91 grain weight and they are exceptional pellets. Penetration is much better than with the lead pellets I was using and as a result I had to add a piece of steel plate behind the .625 plywood back for my targets to sight in the rifle. The steel pellets were shredding the plywood completely.

Lead is toxic and causes brain damage and mental retardation. It also kills predators and vultures and many other beneficial animals. Last thing I want to do is poison the local hawks and coyotes and vultures around my property.

When lead was no longer allowed as an additive to gasoline in the 1970's the end result was less mental retardation with people living in the cities and along the motorways and when they became adults they were far less likely to engage in criminal conduct, excepting those who joined the military.

no avatar
gary martin

Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:02 pm

Calson wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:02 pm
I am using H&N Baracuda Green pellets .25 caliber and 19.91 grain weight and they are exceptional pellets. Penetration is much better than with the lead pellets I was using and as a result I had to add a piece of steel plate behind the .625 plywood back for my targets to sight in the rifle. The steel pellets were shredding the plywood completely.

Lead is toxic and causes brain damage and mental retardation. It also kills predators and vultures and many other beneficial animals. Last thing I want to do is poison the local hawks and coyotes and vultures around my property.

When lead was no longer allowed as an additive to gasoline in the 1970's the end result was less mental retardation with people living in the cities and along the motorways and when they became adults they were far less likely to engage in criminal conduct, excepting those who joined the military.
thank you for your response and contribution to the discussion. firstly i am a target shooter, and therefore am interested in accuracy first. secondly yes lead is toxic, but i'm a individual who is quite capable of deciding for myself what level of exposure and the countermeasures i can implicate to reduce my risk. there has been i lot been made about contamination of the land by lead, but lead is mined from the land.
i assume that you live in the USA by the animals you list on your property. the lead free pellets you use maybe a good match for your rifles, but our sub 12fpe laws don't lend well to larger calibers. also you talk of penetration, with our laws we don't want penetration as that doesn't dump all of the availible energy into the quarry, given we have so little to use in the first place hunters also value accuracy.
from what i have gathered through asking people who have used them, and i quote timmy tree who is a well respected member of this forum is, they just don't work in our rifles. given that the barrels were designed with lead in mind, i don't find any reason to challenge his findings.
i am not questioning your findings, but our laws make our rifles a different kettle of fish. i thank you for your input all the same.
Gary.

no avatar
ronnie12342003

Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:00 pm

i have a stash of pellets should last a life time

Blackbaronfish

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:44 pm

I’m holding out for a u turn from the government.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started