Pro sport shot grouping issue???

no avatar
Theshep76

Pro sport shot grouping issue???

Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:59 pm

Hello everyone, I have just purchased a brand new Pro Sport. This is my first air rifle, I am enjoying using this but am a little concerned as to the shot grouping being so erratic, I can be on it in one shot and very off on the next (and by off I mean about 3-4 inches). I am shooting from a fixed stand and putting the scope in the same place, any ideas or help greatly appreciated🙏

no avatar
gary martin

Re: Pro sport shot grouping issue???

Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:52 pm

Spring guns don't like hard surfaces. they need to be shot in the same manner to achieve a good grouping. trigger control is another variation. follow through, meaning keep looking through the scope once the shot has been released. don't shoot then lift your head to see where the shot has gone. and of course pellets. maybe the batch you have doesn't agree with your barrel. try shooting without the rest, try the classic overarm technique, see how you go. and remember it will take a couple of tins through it to settle in. good luck.

no avatar
tonyc

Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:57 pm

I'm guessing you are talking about random directions rather than consistent vertical drop. If it's vertical check the power is constant using a chrono.

If it's random or off in another direction, Google "artillery position" and try resting the rifle on your hand. A springer on a fixed rest that is too hard will not group consistently.

Other possibilities: pellets clipping the shroud; damaged pellets or a type/batch your gun doesn't like. You didn't say what range you were shooting... doubt it will be wrong pellets if that deviation is at short/medium range,

no avatar
gary martin

Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:51 pm

just wondering as to why someone would make one post? OP where are you?

no avatar
Zed.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:07 pm

gary martin wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:51 pm
just wondering as to why someone would make one post? OP where are you?
tis sorta common, some exect a reply / result in minutes and others forget :lol:

as to PS grouping, I've never shot one accurately :o a TX200 is a diferent matter though, shouldn't make a diference but for some reason I don't get on with a PS :oops:

Rich.
Bleugh!

it is my firm belief that people who declare they have a 'bigger signature than' someone are trying to make up for something else :lol:

no avatar
Walnut92

Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:14 pm

I have a PS and am no expert, it being my first air rifle. However, it groups consistently within 1/2" absolute maximum at 25 yards, with bean bag support under fore end and shoulder hold rear.

I would suspect pellets if it is a 'one in x' flyer. Just tested a friend's HW-100 which are pellet on pellet at that distance but with crap pellets 1 in 4 would be 1-2" off.

no avatar
Walnut92

Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:19 pm

Adding that a couple of months on, I seem to be down to around 1/4" groups, especially with sized pellets.

However, I do note the hold sensitivity. Moving fore end support by 2" (just to demonstrate the point) moves group by 1/2" at least, although grouping remains 1/4".

I understand the Tony Leach conversion to skirtless narrow bore reduces this sensitivity?