Tx200 mk1

no avatar
Titan1

Tx200 mk1

Mon May 06, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi all just had a 400 mile round trip to Wales and back to get a tx200 mk1 it's in a really sorry state and I want to get it back to its former glory and hopefully get many more years out of it.
It's all needs stripping and re doing the stock which has a raised cheek piece a nice change, the barrel and action is rusting and pitted and needs stripping and re bluing the safety catch doesn't work and I'm going to strip out the internals and see what they are like but the biggest fault I have found with it is the barrels all loose and I am not sure the best way to repair it, and would a normal socket tighten it up and would it need treadloc, any advise on all of these problems would be gratefully appreciated many thanks ,mick

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: Tx200 mk1

Tue May 07, 2019 1:45 pm

Barrel loose as in up and down or just rotating?

A socket on a long extension with empty body should surely get to it?
I haven’t done one so don’t know if the barrel needs aligning but blue loctite on the nut should be good. If I knew it didnt need aligning I might put purple loctite where the barrel inserts in the body. Semi permanent fix, only IF it has a good bore.

no avatar
Titan1

Tx200 mk1

Tue May 07, 2019 2:17 pm

Many thanks for the advise it's just rotating by the way so you think that would be the best thing to do just tighten it back up ?

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Thu May 09, 2019 11:42 am

Yup. If you get to a strip down give the barrel a few oily pull thrus with patches and some 20lb fishing line then poke a pellet up it with a dowel or plastic rod and see if the skirt and head have nice clean grooves in ie if the barrel is a keeper or needs replacing. The barrel is 95% of the gun. The rest is just a bike pump.
You probably knew all that anyway!

no avatar
j j m

Thu May 09, 2019 12:20 pm

very nice guns them

no avatar
FPoole

Sat May 11, 2019 6:58 pm

Just snug up the barrel making sure the detent ball is centered with the side to side play of the cocking arm. Check that the arm is held by the detent and not too hard to pop out or too loose to hold the arm. Remove the nut and get the barrel out, then degrease the hole in the receiver and the section of the barrel that's involved. Use some epoxy on the barrel to receiver joint and a spot of blue Loctite on the nut. The barrel will want to rotate when you snug it down that last little bit, so a small impact driver might help. Again, make sure the cocking arm is centered in the dentent hole. You may also find that the silencer thingy is loose as well. so check it also. These guns are now 25+ years old and the factory glue has long since given up the ghost on most of them as well as previous owners doing "custom" work on them. Probably Air Arms finest creations and good luck getting it back to it's former glory.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sat May 11, 2019 9:18 pm

Hey Freddie, can you do that with the guts in or does the piston spring etc have to come out?

no avatar
FPoole

Mon May 13, 2019 11:20 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:18 pm
Hey Freddie, can you do that with the guts in or does the piston spring etc have to come out?
The guts need to come out for a proper barrel fitting. You can just snug up the 17 mm nut with the gun cocked and some sort of wrench/socket set up. Much easier and safer to just drop the innards and use a long extension. I had one gun that was loose and also knew it had the barrel droop adjusted by whacking the action down on a stump, just at the receiver to barrel junction. The method, known as the Samurai chop, :lol: works okay, but this fellow made the hole slightly oval shaped. I cut a .001" shim from a feeler gauge and placed it under the barrel, inside the receiver hole. The fit was perfect and the poi was spot on at 20 yards with the scope centered. Folks can sure make a mess, but almost all things can be fixed.