Newbie advice please which TC for me...

no avatar
Silverfox

Newbie advice please which TC for me...

Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:16 pm

Good evening all,

Thanks for letting me join.my names Matt and I’ve got back into shooting over the last 2 years and thoroughly enjoying myself. Even getting my son involved with pistols.

I’m looking to add a TX to the armoury. I’m a lefty however. (SUB 12ftlb)

I have found a TX200HC in .177 in walnut stock (very good condition with minor marks)

Or for £50 more an as new Tx200HC in .22 also with walnut.

I currently shoot a 99s in .22 having sold my HW98 .177.

I found the 98 to be quite hold sensitive until I short stroked it but the initial frustrations soured the rifle for me hence selling.

I haven’t seen any full length T Rexs for sale so unless I wait my only choice is the HC.

I understand these are a touch louder than the Full length and I guess in .177 even more so.

Being a world class rifle I’m assuming the .177 is a fantastic calibre to choose, but after my bad luck with the 98 I’m hesitant to go .177 again for fear of hold sensitivity.

Are these hold sensitive at all?

Is my .177 hesitancy a real issue or are the .177 fine shooters?

It’ll will spend 90% of its time shooting paper 10% hunting, unless it proves itself amazing in which case the pcp will go.

I’ve always thought springers were best in .22 due to less stress and softer shooting but please can I have some real feedback

Thanks all

no avatar
tonyc

Re: Newbie advice please which TC for me...

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:52 pm

I have both TX200 Mk3 and TX200HC in .177. Also I've compared with TX200 Mk2 in .177.

The Mk3 is quieter than the HC (and Mk2) but not much. Both are quieter than my HW97k with drop-in kit.
The feel and hold sensitivity is different. The full-length versions are muzzle heavy compared to the HC and less manoeuverable so not as good for hunting. The HC and Mk2 seem to cycle faster but that doesn't give me better accuracy. Target shooting I'd pick the full length. It's possible to get cloverleaf groups at 30yds with either but I'm getting better groups at 50yds with the Mk3.

The HW95/98 in .177 are often reported to be snappy and hold-sensitive. I've not done a direct comparison so can't advise. My HW97k is more hold sensitive than the TXs if that helps.

no avatar
FPoole

Re: Newbie advice please which TC for me...

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:05 am

As a fellow lefty, I think you will like the left handed version of the TX. They feel so much better than other companies ambidextrous offerings. I only have TX's in full length .177 and they seem fine to me. It's all about being consistent.