Prosport Woes

no avatar
josh3rd

Prosport Woes

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:17 am

Ok members, I have a .177cal Prosport. I hear something moving loose inside. When I hold the rifle out in front of me with the butt in my right hand and the tip of the barrel in my left and dip the barrel down and up (we'll call it shaking for time saving/writing) it sounds like something is rolling/sliding in the area where the barrel meets the tapered area to the breach. So with the help of a good friend and member on here we tried to eliminate things as the problem one at a time. First I made sure that all screws were tight/secure. Did the up and down test again, still heard the noise. Removed the scope and shook it. No noise. Removed the action from the stock and checked the cocking lever's 2 screws (1 attaches to the comp tube and 1 attaches the cocking lever to the action/bottom of rifle. Very secure. Shook the action as described above and I still hear it. I opened the inside of the rifle. Now mind you, my Prosport is tuned by none other than our Prosport doctor Nitrocrushr. He did an AWESOME job and the spring guide and top hat were done by a man who needs no introduction, Motorhead. So anyway, I removed the guts from the rifle. I checked the spring and nothing was broken. I checked the guide and top hat, same story, nothing broken. I removed my piston, no nicks. I left the compression tube in the rifle but I did check inside it so see if there is/was any debris or if the transfer port was damaged which there was none and no damage to the transfer port. Did the "shake" test again and I still hear it I opened up the cocking lever all the way as if I were cocking the rifle and left the breach area open as if I am going to load a pellet. Did the "shake" test to try to narrow down the area of the noise. With the compression chamber pulled to the rear, the nosie was still in the area where the barrel meets the taper and the breach area. I then return the comp tube to battery, shake test and the noise is still in the area mentioned previously. So now I know its not the comp tube, its not the piston, not the spring, not the trigger housing. I thought at first that it might be the delrin washers in the piston but when I removed the piston, those washers did not move what so ever. I am wondering if it could be a fragment of a pellet possibly. If so, then how could that be? Then I looked into the barrel from the muzzle end. Wondering if a baffle or an o-ring got clipped. I could only see the o-rings and no damage was noticed to them. I shined the flashlight into the muzzle when doing that. Then I opened the breach area and shined the flashlight into the breach loading port where you load the pellet and looked down into the muzzle and only saw a shiny barrel and its rifling. Shake test again and still hear it.

I am at a loss. I don't know what it is or how to find out. I do not want to remove the shroud because I am afraid of damaging the finish or being unable to put it back. Air Arms, I believe, has a lifetime warranty through PA (I think) but if I send it to them, they may just want to replace the rifle. Now if that happens, then I got to replace the JM spring with the oem one, replace the Motorhead guide and top hat with the oem ones along with the comp tube that came with it. I will also be giving up a Nitrocrushr lapped and polished barrel along with his tuning of the trigger. So I am at odds of going the PA route. So any and all help would be greatly appreciated as to my situation.

Blackbaronfish

Re: Prosport Woes

Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:52 pm

Phone AA and tell them the problem. You could always just send the barrel for them to strip it down.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
dazzler

Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:41 pm

Could there be something stuck (not stuck, but lost and loose) in the barrel shroud?

Bobby
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f...... beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back.

Albert Swearengen
Deadwood
Circa 1878

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:25 pm

If PA = Pyramid Air I’m guessing Josh may be in the USA? It limits the options with AA direct.

It certainly sounds like debris in the shroud because you stripped everything else out. In which case it is just an annoyance so you could ignore it?

If you are into stripping down to the guts then is the shroud a big problem to remove ? If its all glued up then ignoring the rattle may be the way to go, particularly if it shoots well.

Timmytree

Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:28 pm

Apart from checking the barrel retaining nut there is only the option of removing the shroud. I've done it once but a long time ago and I can't remember how I did it. I think The shroud came off with the barrel, gripped the barrel in a padded vice and twisted off the shroud. Certainly didn't use any heat. The only other thing I can think of is a loose baffle transmitting the noise along the shroud.

no avatar
j j m

Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:59 pm

ive had a few pro sports over the years not had any issues with them,hope you get it sorted bud

no avatar
josh3rd

Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:38 pm

dazzler wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:41 pm
Could there be something stuck (not stuck, but lost and loose) in the barrel shroud?

Bobby
that's what i am wondering Bobby

no avatar
josh3rd

Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:39 pm

j j m wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:59 pm
ive had a few pro sports over the years not had any issues with them,hope you get it sorted bud
thank you j j m