Tx200 shooting to the left

no avatar
Karlos

Tx200 shooting to the left

Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:52 pm

Hello every one. Does any one have experience with there Tx or any sringer for that matter shooting 10 / 11 MOA to the side. I have just put a new scope on my TX and I noticed that the POI was 11 MOA to the left. Not much of an issue normaly but my scope only has 30MOA of windage. Has any one tryed shimming the mount? I'm useing Sportsmatch dampa one piece.

no avatar
tonyc

Re: Tx200 shooting to the left

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:12 pm

Yes, a problem I've had before. Could be the gun, the scope or the mount. I'm assuming the groupings are good and nothing obviously mechanically wrong with the rifle. If so, first I suggest you check the scope for alignment of optical and adjustment centres.

Please excuse me if you know/have done this already. Return turrets to the central position - just count the total number of turns, stop to stop, and then turn to mid-position. Slacken the rings allowing the cope to rotate, look through and see how far the reticle is from the optical centre. Re-adjust the turrets to optically centre the reticle, counting the number of clicks required for each turret. If these adjustments are more than 10% of the total range you have a faulty scope. It may still be usable but likely to have a zero shift when you turn either the AO or magnification.

If the scope is a little out you may get a better alignment by turning the mount round. With single rings, swapping front to back or turning one or other around can often minimize the misalignment. For some scopes you can try turning the scope through 90 degrees to switch the horizontal and vertical adjustments - not possible with side-focus or IR scopes. Otherwise you will need to buy windage adjustable scope mounts. Don't try to shim the scope rings laterally or you will crush the tube (a potential cause of the problem in the first place). I have shimmed scope rings on the rail with a piece of foil but this is not a very satisfactory solution.

Timmytree

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:59 pm

Another possibility, though less likely is that the rails aren't quite true.

no avatar
Karlos

Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:54 pm

Thank you for your replie Tony C. I've tried three scopes and three different Dampa mounts and all have been the same. Grouping with the gun is as good as PCP.
I'm not sure about shimming (on the rail) so I think I will try a Adjustable mount. I just hope the scope can take the springer recoil. The scope by the way is a Swift 8-32x50.

no avatar
tonyc

Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:29 pm

It seems likely the barrel and rail are out of alignment, but one last question: you have ruled out this isn't an issue with scope being set out of vertical or cant when you are shooting?

I have a tendency to hold my rifle out of vertical - most butts sit better on my shoulder with a slight tilt which, if uncorrected, will result in shooting to the left. Shouldering the rifle and setting the scope to vertical always results in the scope having a slight clockwise rotation relative to barrel-scope axis. When shooting I find the tilt easier to correct on PCPs than springers. When I shoot springers the recoil leaves the barrel to the left of aim point, which might be related. Trying to correct this results in loss of consistency and poor grouping. This is all a bit academic because the simple solution is to set the scope to true vertical and compensate for my pull by adjusting the scope. I've only had to use adjustable scope mounts with one scope and rifle combination where the scope is optically off centre.